FIFTY-TWO | UNRAVELLED SILK

My head is on the verge of being split into two as I run away from Delia Calloway's study, heart beating hard and wild after that frightening chat

She knows about me. She has something on me. But so do I.

For some unknown reason, she's doing everything in her power to make sure Orson never knows the truth about his patronage. The truth about his inheritance. But the idea of being even with someone, after getting this far into this entanglement of a game, doesn't sit well in my stomach. My mind is calculating possibilities, looking back at everything we've known so far, turning over every possible stone in my brain.

A jolt of cold fear runs through me as my mind runs back to the slip of paper I've stolen from Delia's study. Even though the paper is hidden under a pocket in my luggage, my razor-sharp memory still remembers what the paper said. Something about a target arriving in New York, with clear instructions of where the target will be meeting a scheduled driver and something about ten thousand dollars being paid after "completion". Something about E.M Calloway.

Holy shit. My eyes grow wide. Holy shit.

My hands fumbles for my iPhone and I quickly log into Google, hurriedly typing in the words: E.M Calloway into the search bar.

"Come on, come on," I whisper as the results load in front of me and gasp.

E.M Calloway is Elijah Matthews Calloway.

E.M Calloway, as in the same Calloway, who must have paid out a hit on Deidre, Orson's mother. Orson's father, who happens not to be his father the whole time, ordered an assassination on Orson's mother. Why? Most likely out of fear that she'll tell her son he will one day be the one inheriting half of the Calloway fortune. Most likely to punish her for sleeping with Jeremy Calloway and giving birth to the one person who ruined it all for Elijah, who stood in the way of his own inheritance.

Coldness pricks my neck as I ponder even harder about this new information. If Elijah was calculated enough to get away with the murder of Orson's mother, considering Orson's threat to Elijah's crown, I wonder if Elijah ever attempted to get rid of Orson on his own. My eyes widen. It's possible that he-

"No," I whisper to myself as I look out the window. The polo match outside by the lawn is drawing to a close; the men are walking their horses back to the stables, the late-afternoon sky is a bruised purple and the women are retreating back inside to the Manor, which means dinner time is almost upon us. I spot Orson amongst his cousins, head thrown back in laughter. I think about everything I have just found out and the ocean of events that just unfolded; the sheer unbelievability of it all and how suddenly everything makes sense.

The condescending stares of Orson's cousins, the judgemental smirks of his aunts and uncles, the third-degrees by his family, the conversation with Maral, the reason why Orson is so eligible- his dick is more overestimated than a pound of caviar- and how every girl seem to lust over him. It's because of that will Jeremy Calloway had drawn out to punish his wife for sending his beloved to marry his son, that will be intended to give Orson half of everything. Not a penny to the rest.