FOURTEEN | SHOPLIFTERS IN TIFFANY'S

"Truth or dare?"

"Truth or dare?"

"Dare," Bailey Conroy rolls her eyes and buries her nose in Luciana's Egyptian cotton bed sheets, then lifts her face, spinning onto her back so she's facing Luciana's white ceiling. "Of course."

Luciana smiles but she flashes me a look, I hope this stupid plan of yours works. I put one hand to my mouth as if to say patience, young one. "Amory, give her a dare."

Nicki Minaj's Only blasts over Luciana's stereo. "Okay, okay," I laugh, mixing my Tequila sunrise so the orange juice blends with the tequila a little more. It's another Wednesday afternoon at the Santiagos and Luciana's mother had treated us to another round of cocktails. I had fudged the truth to Hadley, saying it's a physics study group at Luciana's while in fact, we're progressively getting drunker on a school night while playing Truth or Dare. "I have a big dare for you."

"Bring it, Scout, don't give me something weak."

Luciana smirks at me and tilts her cocktail down her throat, accidentally spilling some on her white blouse. While like us she's in her uniform, she dons a Yeezy denim jacket over it. "What would you give her, Ames?"

"Hmm..." I pretend to think when I already know exactly what to give her.

Melissa sucks on her straw as she watches the exchange, leaning back in Luciana's fuzzy butterfly chair. Unlike us, she's wearing the Guard uniform that Luciana previously dared her to steal from the doorman. She did it with no problem over the false pretences of wanting to have sex with the sixty-five-year-old man in the broom closet. Then as he stripped naked, she grabbed his clothes and made a run for it as we recorded her, laughing until we peed ourselves and looped a clip of a naked sixty-five-year-old man chasing a teenage girl carrying his clothes on Vine, gaining about over three thousand views within an hour. Maybe it was sort of mean but Luciana stated the doorman deserved it as he tends to stare lecherously at her and her twelve-year-old sister whenever they passed him. A regular Humbert Humbert, I thought but didn't say out loud. The other girls wouldn't get the literary reference, but I tried to keep in mind that just because these girls were the most sought-after at Kensington Prep didn't mean they were above sampling the books the Kensington Prep's recommended summer reading list now and then, especially when they were lying out next to her pool with nothing to do.

"Well, it's going to be a surprise. What do you think of a little shopping spree?"

Bewilderment appears on Nadine, Bailey, and Melissa. "Why?"

"You'll see." I hear myself say.

-

"Just a bracelet?"

"Just a bracelet," I repeat. The buzz the tequila sunrise gave me is wearing off, abandoning remnants of its sweet grenadine taste in my mouth. We were at Park Avenue in front of a Tiffany & Co, where the glass displays lavish accessories and pieces of jewellery on mannequin chests and arms, twinkling at me in their sparsely allocated across the plush white cushion that blanketed the square box.