TWENTY-EIGHT | BLONDE AMBITIONS

The thing about friendships in the Elite world is that most of them aren't real. Friendships in this glitzy-glam world are more fragile and sheer than a slip dress from Calvin Klein. Friendship in this world is buying matching Hermes scarves, popping champagne bottles at celebrity parties, globe-trotting in each other's private jets, marathon shopping at Barneys and Saks, and showcasing unbreakable loyalty to each other...all while secretly resenting each other from behind their backs.

Georgina's been reluctant in my attempts to coax her into my friendship. I understand why she's hesitant to trust me. After all, I am Orson's most recent ex-girlfriend. But I have a plan to change all that.

Georgina's been hanging with our small exclusive crew but not because she wanted to, it was out of desperation to seem like she has a crew to depend on. We'd play nice with her for her week with her. Parker calls it the "not-fun" phase of my plan. We'd invite Georgina to foot massages, cryotherapy, manicures. It does take her a while for her to warm up but when she eventually does, I ask Nadine and her underlings to do all the secret pranks we had planned.

For when she had gym with Parker, I ordered them to change her expensive coconut milk shampoo with purple hair dye so her blonde curls got all stained. Seeing her cry with purple hair on VieuxRiche made Parker and I cry with laughter over cocktails at Nitecap. Or destroying all her textbooks so she'll get in trouble with all the teachers. Or having an Elite all-girls sleepover at Nadine's and purposely uninviting Georgina to it. Little things like that. It's petty, small acts. Nothing too embarrassing yet. Parker keeps whispering in my ear, pestering me for my big reveal. I tell her to wait for it.

But Orson cornered me in the library before I can even do anything remotely damaging.

"I know you did this," Orson says, thrusting his phone into my face as I'm writing notes for Latin during my study period. The phone reveals Georgina coming out of gym class with purple-dye stained blonde hair.

I act annoyed. "What?"

"This has you and Parker written all over it."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Orson's blue eyes glow with anger. Anger simmers below the surface, hot to the touch, even in the silence between us. "The little pranks, the fake-friend...wow, Carmen taught you well."

A harsh laugh sputters out of my throat. The librarian hushes me from a distance. I lower my voice, "Orson, I honestly have no time to mess with you and your girlfriend. I told you, I'm happy for you. Georgina's lovely," I clasp my hands together and let a wicked smile play over my lips, "And if I wanted to mess with Georgina, believe me, she'll be gone by now."

Orson narrows his eyes and he takes the seat opposite of me. "See, that's the thing, Amory. That's your favorite game to play. You act like you don't care but I know you do. You act like you never wanted me and yet..."