#44 - Happy New Year Darling

You were running around your house trying to grab all the necessary bits and bobs to add to your suitcase. You and Tom were traveling to his parents for New Years, your nerves hitting override as although you'd known Tom a very long time, you'd never been there for this kind of occasion and you weren't sure what to take.

You'd been married for 3 years, each time you went away you did this.

"Darling, come on. You don't need anything else, you've checked four times now. They love you, let's go!"

He grabbed your bag before you could protest, before scooping you up and carrying you over his shoulder on the opposite side. You began to laugh, trying to scold him but failing. It was only when you felt him seat you down inside the car did you relax slightly knowing you'd set off soon and the introductions would be over shortly after arriving. The smell of leather and Toms aftershave filled your senses and you allowed yourself to sink into the seat.

You stayed quiet throughout the beginning of the journey, your hand sweating as you watched trees zoom past on the other side of the window. Tom would occasionally glance your way to see if you were alright, grabbing your hand eventually to clasp it in his own. The thumb that swept across your knuckles kept you calm as you drove through the estates and neared up until you pulling up into his drive.

You saw his mum first, your nerves instantly melting at the sight of her grin as you climbed out and ran into her open arms. You suddenly became embarrassed at the fact you'd felt nervous. This woman was practically your second mum, her warm embrace making you feel comforted. Tom watched from a distance at the loving smile on his mums face as she held you close. You were small, fitting perfect under her chin. She'd always said she was proud of him for finding and marrying you, picturing you as another daughter she cherished and loved.

"There's my gorgeous girl, I hope Tom hasn't been playing up for you."

"He does little else-"

"OI, LOVE. I CAN STILL HEAR YOU. YOU CHEEKY GIT!"

You chuckled, pulling away whilst you spotted Toms father - James - pop his head through the gap in the door. You giggled as he picked you up slightly in a tight grip, your small size making it easy to carry you around; an excuse to treat you like a small child - something you didn't mind at all.

You were ushered in, Tom refusing to allow you to carry any bags as he set them upstairs, before returning to find you sat by the kitchen counter, a glass of Coke with ice already grasped in your hand. He looked questionably at the baileys in the corner knowing you'd usually pounce the stuff, but he brushed it off. Your smile wide as you sat watching his Mum cook, head tipping back slightly. He watched you from the doorway, his hand finding its way to his pockets as he took in your glowing figure.

Tonight was going to be a good night.

--------------------

The smell of a cooked roast filled his nose, and he wrapped his arms around your middle, snuggling up behind you. He loved coming home, the old house carrying all the memories of his childhood and teenage years. The walls still run down, the bookshelves scuffed. Everything there had meaning. The curtains swept as the opened window making you shiver along with his touch, the movement making him grip your hip and groan quietly into your ear. His parents were mumbling in the background and he paid attention slightly, but his mind was too distracted by you.

He had you curled into him on the sofa, his parents comfortable with the show of affection whilst you waited for his sisters and family friends. You'd grasped his hands from your hips, fiddling with his soft slender fingers as you sat wondering what you'd do without this man. He'd become your life, and the prospect of losing him broke you in two. You felt so grateful all of a sudden that he put up with all your downs and shouting and you felt the beginning tears start to form as your hand flew to your mouth to contain the sound of your shaky breathes. His mother stopped laughing half way through to find you in a state, instantly thinking the worst and feeling a pang of guilt shoot through her.