#37 - Auntie Hazel

Hazel was curled up in the bed with the covers over her head. She looked so comfortable lying there, the only noise coming from her was her heavy breathing. You'd convinced her to stay with you and your husband until she got better.

You'd been friends for years, ever since you were reckless teenagers - by reckless you meant the endless Skype calls late at night, never leaving the room unless food was involved. Countless amount of times she'd taken care of you, grabbing the next train down to hug your tears away when a boy messed you over. Meeting you in London to swoon over Andrew Scott. You'd gone to Uni near each other, deciding to flat share. And afterwards... You'd just stayed together when working and growing up.

But right now, after a visit to the doctors that said she had the flu with a sick virus... You needed to return the favour.

You'd gone in to check on her every so often, your husband making her warm soup and hot chocolates to keep her warm and feeling fuzzy inside, ensuring your children wouldn't disturb her. He'd been a saint, accepting Hazel as part of the relationship package when he married you. You'd been living with her at the time, her constant threatening to keep you happy didn't manage to scare him off, and she happily stood by you whilst you were brought together at your wedding, her presence calming whilst she stood behind you as head brides maid watching you marry the one you loved. She'd watched your journey with you, your heartbreak when you argued, the bitching when he'd made you angry, and the smiles when you'd come home from dates.

She was classic Auntie Hazel, so when the children came home from school that afternoon they were bouncing straight in to the room to say hello, before being told she wasn't allowed visitors till she felt a little better. They'd made her 'Get Well Soon' cards with Tom, her smile and thanks making them bombard her with cuddles before beaming for the rest of the evening. At 6 and 11, the girls loved her, as she'd never been fond of having children herself, they were practically her own; constantly spoiling them and taking them places.

You swore they were mini Hazels sometimes, and that made you incredibly happy.

But right now you'd leant on the edge of the bed to brush her hair back, Tom knocking lightly before entering with a cup of warm tea. He looked shabby, his hair all messed up and joggers on... Yet to you he was still perfect.

"How's she doing?"

It was only a whisper that passed his lips, but it took your breath away. He placed the warm mug down, kneeling in front of you both as Hazel fidgeted, leaning towards your source of heat.

"I'm worried about her, but she seems better than before."

"You two are inseparable."

You smiled, drinking in every memory that filled your brain.

"Good, she's my best friend."

"We've seen each other in our underwear... We're practically sisters."

She'd awoken beside you, her eyes fluttering open and noticing the tea in front of her, her moan in delight filled the room before she sat up and groaned when the warm liquid seeped down we throat.

"You've seen each other half-naked?!"

Tom had an eyebrow lifted and a cachu-eating grin plastered on his face. One that was all so tempting to slap off... Or kiss off. Either would have sufficed.

"Yeah. It's a long story... We were both drunk and it involved attempting to put pyjamas on. And no. It's not what you think."

"Damn..."

You were trying not to laugh as Hazel found the energy to thump Tom's head, his cackle making you smile whilst she smirked into her mug.

There was a soft knock on the door, your six year old Dannielle pocking her head round the wooden obstacle. Your eleven year old, Bea had gotten invited to a sleepover, leaving Danni to entertain herself. Tom jumped straight on it.

"Baby girl, Auntie Hazel isn't very well right now, she needs rest. Let's-"

"Let her in Tom, I don't mind."

Danni ran into her open arms and snuggled into her sniffling Aunts chest. You watched as Hazel ran her hand through your daughters hair, smiling and telling stories.

You left to go collect your own cup of tea, moving into the kitchen with Tom as he pushed you up against a counter, his arms in your hair as his lips met yours. They were soft, feather-like as his fingers tickled down your neck making you shiver in delight. He smiled against you score pulling away, pulling your body in and hugging you tightly - his head buried in your hair as you relished in the feeling of him close.

"I'm going to bed, darling. I'll meet you there in a bit. You alright putting Danni to sleep?"

You allowed your fingers to trace his face, every intricate detail beautifully standing out at the closeness.

"Yeah, I'll join you in a bit. Don't get too comfy, I want a cuddle before you nod off."

"I promise."

And with a simple kiss to the top of your nose, he squeezed you slightly and left you to the silence of the kitchen.

You came back and see the two girls lying down and snuggle close, their eyes closed and breathing gentle.

You loved your best friend. You were so glad you had her. So you tucked them in, and closed the door shut and crept in to your own room as quietly as possible.

You tucked under the covers and into the arms of your husbands embrace.

You had your husband, your children and your best friend.

You felt utterly complete.