24

//Guys; This is the last chapter of Book 1! But don't worry, book two is already on the way. This has been quite a wild ride, so thank you all for supporting me throughout writing this novel <3 THE NEXT BOOK IS OUT ON MY PROFILE!

Carrying three armoured soldiers on one's back was difficult work, and Eli could feel the exhaustion in Avilith's very bones. She pat her dragon's scales, urging her to hold on just a bit longer.

None of them had spoken since Elan had died. Teoh was still weeping, while Eli and Ejder managed to dry their tears already. And Eli felt guilty for it, she felt guilty for not crying, like Teoh was. She felt guilty that she was so cold. That she couldn't cry.

"We-" Teoh began, stopping to wipe his face, "-we just left him... we just left his body there. The monsters will eat him!"

Eli turned around, sending Teoh a sad gaze. The boy was nestled between herself and Ejder. Eli felt bad for him; maybe Elan was ready for battle, but not Teoh, not yet.

Eli would go back for Elan, after the battle, she'd get him buried properly. But there was no way she'd allow Teoh to fight again.

Not even five minutes had passed before they came upon the elven army. How had they managed to get there so quickly?

As Avilith flew closer to the ground, Eli realised that every single soldier was on a horse, and many horses were carrying two soldiers at once. They were galloping towards Revera already, and the fact made Eli's heart swell with gratefulness, and newly discovered hope.

Teoh had gotten quiet, not even sobbing anymore, as Avilith landed in front of the army.

And leading the charge, on a glorious white steed, was, of course, Rileigh. He had already dismounted and was running towards them.

Eli nearly fell down as she slid off Avilith, feeling excitement, an emotion she found very out of place for the given situation.

"Well, you seem alive, so I guess Avilith did her job back at the Queen's castle," Eli said as greeting, taking a good look at Ril. He was wearing a bit fancier armour, and a smile graced his handsome face. The scar on his face only made him look better, in Eli's opinion, kind of breaking the elven perfection. But, to Eli's dismay, he had cut his hair, the pure white strands barely reaching his ears. Even though she liked his hair long, she had to admit that having shorter hair showed off his sharp features rather nicely.

"I'm surprised you're alive," he commented nonchalantly as he scratched Avilith's snout, his eyes locked on the dragon's.

"I'm very disappointed you cut your hair, sir," Eli said in the strictest tone she could muster, and Ril grinned, finally looking at Eli.

"I apologise profusely, and beg your forgiveness. But nobody mourns more than I, I simply had no choice, nobody could save that mess."

Ejder cleared his throat and stepped between Eli and Ril, who were subconsciously drifting closer to each other. "If you two could stop flirting for a minute, we have more pressing matters to attend to. The Queen has redirected her whole army to Revera, her dragons are burning down soldiers as we speak."

Ril nodded, his face turning serious. "We've guessed as much when they didn't arrive; and when Avilith just frantically took off, so did we. It was good we waited to ambush them deeper in Linos, or we'd still be in Notrhl by now."

Eli nodded, the reality crashing back down onto her. "If the queen dies, so do all the monsters. She's on top of her dragon, so I'll try to get her from the air." She turned back to Ejder and Teoh. "Teoh, I want you to go with them, go find Tanya and stay by her, okay? Go now, don't let her talk to me."