17

The group's excitement was quickly overrun by fear.

It was true that they landed in a village, and that was great.

What was slightly less great was the fact that landed straight in the middle of it, in their little centre. Houses and wooden taverns surrounded the still chained group, as did living beings. Humans, elves, and dwarves, all living in harmony. Seeing them all walking together and living life together made Eli feel happy. It made her feel like the queen's idea couldn't be so bad, after all.

The villagers' reaction was instant. They all looked at the newcomers, their faces twisted in panic, and everyone began running and screaming for the guards.

"We need to hide," Ejder commanded, and they finally let go of each others' hands. Eli looked around them and saw that the village was nested in-between two hills, with fields covering all the flat areas. The forest was a little further away. The main city had to be over the hill up west.

Ejder led the way and Eli went last, looking behind them for any sign of guards. The previously packed centre was now completely empty.

As the group was passing a yet another tiny, a bit clumsily built wooden house, the door opened and a human poked their head through. It was an older man with a balding head and a face holding more scars than Ejder's.
"Get in, quickly," he whispered, opening the door fully and ushering them in. Ejder and Valda exchanged a glance, and Ejder walked in reluctantly. The others followed, and Eli closed the door behind them while the human was pulling the blinds over the windows. The house was simply furnished, lacking any sort of accessories. A plain table with two wooden stools sat the middle and a straw bed rested in the corner.

"Thank you for your hospitality," Valda said, and Eli felt relieved that she didn't have to be the one to break the silence. The man sighed before finally facing them. Just then did Eli notice how battered the man was – the blisters on his fingers, the stench coming from his clothes and the various bruises along his face and arms.

"What in the world are you doing here?" he asked.

"We're here to take back one of ours," Eli said before any of her friends could reveal sensitive information. The man shook his head.

"You're foolish, all of you. I came here to do the same thing, and look at me now! Forced into labour. It's barely a life worth living! The queen promises a better life once she takes over your lands, but nobody's allowed to leave her reign once they join."

"How does she plan on doing that?" Ejder asked, taking a step closer to the man. The man didn't even flinch.

"How in the world am I supposed to know that? I'm just a farmer!" the man said dismissively. Eli was ready to give up, but Ejder seemed to have other ideas.

"You know more than you let on," he said. The man flinched slightly, a soft gasp escaping his lips.

"Look, I helped you get away from the guards. If you stay here for a while, you can turn back and leave this place. Go hide somewhere until the queen finishes her work."

Ejder shook his head. "That won't work. Tell us what you know."

The man frowned defiantly. "You come into my house to demand things from me?"

"Yes," Ejder replied simply. A smile appeared on the man's lips.

"Fine." He sat down at the stool, facing the group. "I used to be her personal guard for a while. She has contacts in Notrhl and Revera, supposedly the enemies of the king. She plans to use them to attack the lands from all sides, and quickly take over. And at the end, take over her allies' land, as well."