- The Nikah

10/12/2020.

. . . . . . .

Barakah

Tweeting birds had her tender ears drilling. She wondered what those creatures were going on about. In her white floral summer dress and a red bow to tie her loose ponytail, Barakah looked as angelic as the new born she watched her mother tightly gather in her arms about an hour ago.

That was all before she ran off with Halima Jali. Normally, her twin sister would be their mother's companion to occasions like these, naming ceremonies and such. Bara'a Zulfa would tail behind their mother like a chick. Whereas, Barakah Amal was an unquiet, her spirit was completely unreserved. She wouldn't behave, rarely behaved like the child that she was and rather acted by her gut that was sharper than her nine year-old mind.

Unfortunately Bara'a was sick with the flu. So her mother had clothed her in a dress with a ponytail, in an attempt to wrap her as her twin sister.

What their mother misunderstood though, was that once the wrapping material was torn. . .

                 Barakah Amal would be the gift.

And a gift, she truly was.

As she bunched up her invisible sleeves and dug her small feet into the ground, her small mind was ready to breach peace.

"Her mouth will open waa! I will close it for her today!"

Her eyes restricted as she looked at the girl on their opposite side. Farida Nuna, a girl that would often attempt to bully Barakah and whom Barakah publicly referred to as, Fatty Nono, because she was a bit big and normally bought three milk juice bags to school each day.

Barakah and Halima were taking rounds on the swing set with a couple of their other mates when Farida appeared with an upheaval, aggressively pushing Halima down the swing. Halima, having an innate nature to be timid in the face of trouble had crumbled into her shell. Holding onto her bruised arm.

Barakah on the other hand, preferred to partake in trouble. Her small frame was seething. Lungs taking in hot air as she glared daggers in Farida's viewpoint.

"Come and close it." Farida lamely mocked as she eyed the twiggy girl. Barakah was a twig compared to her.

"Mama will be angry Amal, don't do it!" Halima almost screamed. Chocking on her sob.

But Barakah had already lounged at her. Applying her weight on the girl to take her down. The alarm in the girls voices causing the flock of birds to disperse.

Barakah kicking and gasping as they rolled over the dirt. Her mother was going to give her an earful and a beating here and there but it would be worth it. Barakah kneed the girl in the stomach off her. Aiming for her arm to give her similar bruises she had left on Halima with her nails.

The girl might have been big but she wasn't meant for physical squabbles. She was barely done when she was picked off the girl, kicking her legs and arms to be set free on the girl again.

"Amal, mi mara ma!" She resigned at the strictness of her brother's voice. AbdulMutalib would surely land her that slap if she didn't calm.