- The Promise

10/6/2023

Barakah

"Angon Asma'u." She said with the vision of it in her head space carrying her tone: bemused. When her husband had walked in with the soon to be groom, a mirror image touched her perception and she thought: Makes no sense. But when did I even begin to make sense with Jalal?

She beamed at him. Their wedding was the coming weekend.

Apparently, Asma'u was a big deal. So big, that moments after her betrothal to Mahmud through the introduction, the entire city began to wax tales. Everywhere buzzed with the gist. There were things Barakah was still getting to hear.

So young, I'd thought she was too busy living soft to settle.

Whose son is she marrying?

He's not really the son of anybody.

I'm as confused as all the men that were pursuing her.

Jalis' and their coup weddings. Wasn't this what her brother did a year ago?

People initially did not really know who Barakah was when she'd spend days moving about her mother-in-law's house, getting a task out of a never ending pile of organizations done. Maimuna and Asma'u had attended Yahya's wedding and appreciated Barakah's touch on everything. From the food, to the decor, to the color scheme, to the schedule of events— they awed over everything. And given that her husband had taken over the role of Asma'u's father figure, it only worked the metal harder that she would take a bulk of responsibility too.

Not that she minded, honestly. Aside from the tiredness and reoccurring frustrations, it served her much better if Maimuna would adore her again. Jalal did not go three days without seeing his mother, not unless if he couldn't help it. He loved both mother and wife but he respected his mother more than his wife. Barakah was aware that Jalal was not the type of man to make her suffer over the whims of his family but he was also the type of man that would shoulder the trouble for everyone else.

Prior to the upcoming weekend wedding,  Jalal had traveled with the bride and his two other sisters at Asma'u's request that a couple of things on her wedding shopping list required they traveled out. And even though Maimuna had objected because she had traveled out with her two oldest daughters a year ago and had shopped for timeless home pieces with the prospect of their marriages in mind, Jalal had encouraged Asma'u and Maimuna seldom disagreed with her favorite child and only son.

Barakah did not take sides because it was frankly, not her business. But she would tell her husband someday soon, that he was in fact, spoiling his sisters. And if it wasn't for how Maimuna grounded all three of her daughters, the overindulgence would've gotten over their heads.

"No, not you too." There was a grievance in his voice.

"Already missing the single life?" She enquired as Farouk dashed to his uncle and Jalal hugged her side, telling her he'd be down again after a change of clothes. It was Tuesday and every other Tuesday, they played tennis together.

"Badly." He sounded so genuine, she was at loss for words for a moment.

"Wedding jitters." She offered, "I had the worst case of them. I think I lost so much weight, I'm still gaining it back up until this day."

He pitied her, "Your circumstances were.  .   .  .  Shattering. And I'm settling. Because I don't have it in me again to feel inspired by anyone."