4. The Welcoming Committee

Jane-Anne Pearce

Dear Diary,

Today, I am feeling tired. Junior year has been WAY harder than Dad said it would be. Pleasing colleges, teachers, friends, and my parents all at the same time is literally impossible. At this point, I think Evergreen University would laugh at my application. The more I think about it, the more stressed I get. I can't even sleep. I've tried everything: scented candles, white noise, weighted blankets. It's like someone's playing a song in my ear that's forcing me awake.

I don't know why I want to go to Evergreen so badly. I wanted to get accepted there so I could go with my best friends, but I screwed that up last year. And now, no one except for Taylor and Kiara wants to talk to me. When the world rightfully decided to hate me, Taylor and Kiara were there to replace my old friends. I like them, but I can't help but feel, deep down, they don't like me.

But it's a new year, and maybe things can change. Or at least I hope they can.

I closed my diary neatly so that I didn't bend any of the pages. I put my pen back in my pencil case, which was stuffed to the brim with multicolored Sharpies, highlighters, and gel pens. I've always insisted on color coordinating my notes, so I'm the person that everyone goes to when they miss a day of class. I don't mind. It's like an unspoken compliment. Everyone's in agreement that I'm the best notetaker.

A knock on the door startled me, and I almost threw my pens everywhere. Everyone thinks I'm dramatic, but I'm genuinely that jumpy.

"Who is it?" I called, despite the fact that it was probably my dad.

"Do you want to unlock the door?" Dad asked, confirming my suspicions.

"One second!" I chirped back. I glanced down at the diary and decided to tuck it underneath one of the many pillows that adorned my bed. Carefully, I fluffed each of them until I was satisfied with my hiding skills.

"That was definitely longer than a second, Jane-Anne," said Dad impatiently when I opened the door for him.

"You'd think the mayor of Atalka could be a little more diplomatic." I teased back, stepping away from the door so Dad could come in.

"You'd think that his daughter would be more respectful." My dad responded automatically. The rhythm of our teasing was familiar to both of us. Taylor had gasped in horror the first time she witnessed the blunt way I've always spoken to my dad.

Taylor is a big rule follower. That's not a bad thing, but it's made me realize that I can be rude. Dad says he loves my honesty, but Mom and my teachers don't. Now that Dad's the mayor, I've tried to restrain my tongue. Turns out I'm not that great at self-control.

"Where's Mom?" I asked, plopping on my bed so Dad could actually walk into my room.

Dad frowned. "I think you know, Jane-Anne." Mom was supposed to be the community event coordinator in Atalka, but that's more of a label than a job. Mom has her own office where she spends most of her time doing who-knows-what, but Dad doesn't bother her about it. New people make Mom nervous, so she's probably still holed up in that unnecessary workspace of hers.

"I was just asking, Dad," I said, but Dad didn't seem amused by my question. "So," I segued, "when are we going?"

"Now, if you're ready. The Scotts had their checkup a couple of hours ago," said Dad.

Ah, yes. The mysterious checkup that new Atalkans were subjected to. Ever since Makaya took over security, she decided that she needed to carefully interview each new resident when they moved in. It was a way to weed out those that couldn't be trusted. If there's anything I've learned from last year, it's that anyone can be dangerous.