3. The Scotts

Lena Matthews

I adjusted myself awkwardly on the couch. No one has entered the office yet, and I was alone and a bit confused. If there really were monsters living here, they were some really obsessive ones. Despite the fact that Ivy Scott was up to date on all of her vaccinations, she was still being subjected to a checkup. I gave a small sigh, wondering if anyone could hear it. Probably not. I wasn't sure which rooms everyone else was in, but we were all separated within the building. I couldn't wait to leave and get pizza. It was the least I deserved for my boredom.

The main office was only about the size of a suburban house. Almost immediately after we arrived, we were split up and placed into small rooms. I cleaned my glasses and started examining my cuticles. I had already investigated every inch of this place. There was a couch, a desk with a leather work chair, and a fireplace. A chilling thought entered my mind. What if we were split up so we could be killed by the monsters that lived here? Had the source given us away?

I looked around the room wildly until I spotted a fire poker neatly hung up by the fireplace. Carefully, I lifted it from the wall and tucked it in between the cushions of the couch I was lying on. I made sure to put it where it couldn't be easily seen, but also where I could snatch it quickly in the event of an attack. It was a delicate balance that I wanted to get just right. I heard the creak of an opening door and jolted straight up. Since I looked suspicious, I decided to examine the blank ceiling, feigning fascination with its beigeness.

The door opened all the way to reveal a tall and slender woman with jet black hair and olive-toned skin. She could have been either fifty or twenty-two, but I couldn't tell which. She was certainly beautiful. The woman looked at me, a sense of shock in her eyes. I stared back at her, confused.

The woman's eyes were locked on me, and I could follow each stage of grief dance across her face. I adjusted my glasses, unsure if I was seeing this right.

"Sorry." the woman whispered breathlessly as she turned to go. She slammed the door behind her.

"Wait!" I protested, still perplexed. I didn't even do anything, and I've already upset the first person I'd seen. What was wrong with her?

I placed my ear on the door to hear what was going on.

"Get ahold of yourself." a voice hissed. It was Makaya. "There's like five of them. We need to make this fast if we want to get them all done today."

"I don't know," said the woman. She sounded scattered, like she was struggling to find the right words.

"Honey, I am sorry if it jogs a bad memory or two, but we have to get through it. We're professionals, okay? Let's act like it." said Makaya.

The woman didn't say anything. "Just give me a second," she said finally.

"I don't want to play this card, Jessica, but one mom to another, I need you to pull yourself together," said Makaya.

"Okay," said Jessica. I could hear her take a deep breath, and quickly scrambled back to my original position on the couch so that Makaya and Jessica wouldn't know I had been spying.

The door opened once more, revealing a smiling Jessica, with Makaya close behind.

Makaya was wearing a short blue silk dress despite the cold. Her silver bracelets chimed against each other as she walked into the room. Makaya didn't say anything to me as she sat herself down at the desk.

"Sorry about earlier," said Jessica. "I just had a moment. My name is Jessica Reynolds. I'm a nurse over at Atalka General, and I'm here to help with your checkup today. I know that this is a little unconventional, but Atalka is a very special place. By performing these checkups on every new resident, we are able to keep our high reputation and property value. So, let's begin." Jessica had a clipboard at the ready, while Makaya was making herself comfortable, her legs lounged across the desk.