Chapter 1

I was twenty-two years old, and my day had started out like any other, only to be turned completely around by tomorrow. Of course I wasn't aware of that. If you were aware of bad things happening to you, you wouldn't do certain things that would lead you there. So how was I to anticipate that I would fall in love? Life can be such a bitch sometimes.

I had a hard day at work. I came home and collapsed on my couch, groaning and kicking off my shoes. My editor seriously got on my nerves sometimes. Whenever I wrote a book, she always edited it to the point where it didn't even sound like my story anymore! I decided what I needed was a drink. I called up a couple of my friends and we all agreed to go clubbing tonight. I needed a nap in the meantime. I lay down and closed my eyes, falling asleep in seconds.

A couple hours later, my doorbell rang, jolting me out of my sleep. I got off the couch and hurried to the door, opening it to see my best friends. I let go of a small smile, my day brightening slightly. We all sat on my couch and watched TV until it was time to go. We got in my car and I quickly drove to one of the nearest clubs in town. The traffic wasn't too bad, and my friends and I were all eager to get inside. We hadn't had a good party for awhile now, and all of us needed it. We walked into the club and sat at the bar, taking a couple shots and laughing, having the time of our lives. After about an hour or so, things started going downhill. A VERY large crowd of people walked into the bar, and there were a lot of camera flashes. At the center of the crowd, I spotted someone familiar. Oh, it was that singer, what's his name- Chris brown. I rolled my eyes and turned back to my drink, my friends following my lead. Celebrities just got on my nerves. They always had people dying to marry them, and some of them just thought the world revolved around them. It was true I didn't know much about Chris Brown, but he was most likely similar to the other cocky celebrities out there.

I groaned loudly as Chris sat at the bar a couple seats down from me and my friends. His security ushered away all the fans and photographers, ordering them to stop taking pictures and go about their business. People grumbled angrily but left as the security guard gave them all a killer look. I glanced over at Chris, and he caught me looking. He smiled and went back to his drink. His security guard looked at me. "It's okay, she was here before us." Chris cut in as his body guard opened his mouth to speak. He quickly snapped it shut and I returned to my drink, trying to have a good time with my friends.

A couple hours later, Chris still hadn't moved from his spot. A couple of his friends were with him, and they were laughing really loudly. My friends and i were drunk, and every time they laughed my head pounded. I got up, signaling it was time to leave. My friends followed suit, and I heard chairs screeching behind me. I glanced quickly behind me, and silently cursed when I saw Chris and his friends. Why did they have to leave at the same time as us? In my aggravation, I turned quickly, and my shoe got caught on the leg of the stool. I tumbled forward, and I felt a warm hand grab my shoulder, saving me from my fall. I turned around and was face to face with Chris Brown. "Are you okay?" He asked worriedly.

"Um yeah. Thanks." I said, squinting in an effort to stop my head ache. I didn't mean for my words to sound so harsh, but celebrities just pissed me off no matter how kind they were. "You and your friends are too drunk to drive." Chris commented. "Why do you care?" I asked icily.

"Well, I wouldn't want a group of young ladies to get killed. I'm offering my help. My body guard can drop you girls off. My other body guard can drive your car home." He answered politely. He was right about the driving part. None of us were in any condition to drive right now. I sighed angrily. "Fine." Chris smiled and took my hand, guiding me and my friends out of the club. I shook my hand from his grasp and glared at him. "What? I'm just trying to make sure you don't fall again." He stated innocently. I dropped my gaze and stepped a little farther away from him. No matter how kind he was, I wasn't allowing myself to fall in love with anyone ever again. Especially celebrities. They were the biggest players out there.

Chris led my group to a Lamborghini parked in the shadows away from the club. I counted the seats. Someone was gonna really have to squeeze in the back seat, because there was one too many people. "Where's your car?" Chris asked me politely. I pointed across the lot and handed him the keys. One of his body guards took them and proceeded over to my car, getting in and starting the engine. "One of you girls can have shotgun." Chris commented. My head hurt so bad I couldn't even tell which one of my friends accepted the offer and climbed into the front seat. Great, I was smashed beside Chris in the backseat with my other friend. I sat between them and Chris didn't even attempt to give me room. He thought he was gonna get all cuddly on me? No way. I glared at him, and he sighed and scooted over as much as possible. I gave his body guard the directions to my house, and the ride back was uncomfortable because of Chris' closeness.

When we reached my house, I climbed out eagerly and turned to see my car being parked in my driveway. "Wait." Chris said, stepping out of his car. I turned to him. "Yeah?" I asked.

"What's your name?"

I glared at him and considered not answering. I sighed. "Kylie potter." I replied. He grinned. "Pretty name." Was he seriously trying to flirt with me? Oh god. "Yeah, thanks."

"Here's my number. Text me if you have time." He said with a wink. I pocketed the piece of paper he gave me without any intention of looking at it. He saw it in my eyes.

"How come you won't let me talk to you?" He asked.

"It's a long story and I'm tired." I replied. My friends had already gone inside my house, and Chris' body guard was waiting on him.

"Well let me take you out tomorrow and you can explain." He said hopefully.

"I don't date."

"Oh. You have a boyfriend?"

"No."

"Engaged?"

"No."

"Married?!" He said incredulously, looking at my hand for a ring.

"NO. I'm single. I just don't date."

"Ah, so someone broke your heart." He said sympathetically. I looked away, my eyes tearing up.

"It's okay. Just let me take you out. Please? Just as a friend."

"I don't know I just-"

"I'll be at your house tomorrow at two pm To take you out to lunch." Chris interrupted with a smile. "No buts." He added when I began to protest. Dammit, I wasn't busy tomorrow, I had no excuse. "Fine." I said. Chris smiled, kissing me on the cheek.

"Could you please not do that?" I asked.

"Okay." He said, climbing into his car. His friends that had been in my car climbed in the back, and I watched his car fade into the distance until it turned a corner and was gone.

I shook my head angrily and walked into my house, where I found my friends passed out. One was on the couch and the other was on the floor. I decided to let them crash there for the night. I walked upstairs and collapsed onto my bed, before realization really hit me. I had a date with Chris Brown tomorrow. A celebrity had asked me out and I had tried to brush them off. I knew the mask I wore in front of him was just a guard to protect and prevent my true feelings from escaping. I had gotten so used to it that I didn't even know my true feelings anymore. I squeezed my eyes shut and let my perfect façade crumble, waiting to see what was inside. When my defense was down, I thought about Chris.

•Was he kind? Check

•Was he hot? Check

•Did he like me? Check

•Did I like him? Check

•Was I in love? I shuddered. Maybe.

Uh-oh. I was beginning to fall for a celebrity, something I told myself I'd never do. I had put my heart in someone else's hands. Now I just hoped he could mend it instead of breaking it beyond repair. I felt tears stream down my face as I drifted into an uneasy sleep.