Chapter 26: Fear of A Fourteen-Year-Old

"50 werewolves killed in Stabelow." Elijah explained to Klaus. "A further 80 in Wittenberg just outside of Bentwisch entirely wiped out. A dozen massacres miles from where we stand, Niklaus."

"This is too systematic for Mikael." Klaus refuted. "Besides, I've been keeping a low profile."

"Oh, is that what you would call this?" Elijah asked sarcastically.

"Yes, Elijah." Klaus explained. "The carnality is the norm here, the only one that stands out is you."

"Rebekah." Elijah began. "What if that lunatic we call a father found Rebekah and forced he to surren—"

"Rebekah is ensconced in Chicago with this Stefan character." Klaus replied with a wry smile. "She writes me often, because I'm her favourite."

"Yes, I'm afraid to disappoint you but Rebekah will write to anyone who is willing to indulge her about this nauseating affair." Elijah said as he took a sip of his drink. "She does seem happy."

"Well her happiness is in my highest order; you should know that." Klaus murmured quietly.

"And what of yours?" Elijah questioned.

"What of it?"

"Well she seems to have disappeared." Elijah replied, causing Klaus to shift uncomfortably as he brought up his estranged wife. "It is possible given her...nature, that she was the cause of this."

"Fiore would never." Klaus replied. "Besides, she's likely to be as far away from this country as she possibly could be, what with all the Nazis abound and..."

"And you." Elijah finished for his scowling brother. "I see you're still unwilling to discuss what transpired between the two of you."

"And yet here you are attempting to do exactly that." Klaus told him bitterly as he downed his drink.

"She will come back, Niklaus." Elijah said as he rested his hand on his shoulder.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because of the two people who have managed to love you the most in spite of your many faults, Fiore is on the top of that list." Elijah replied.

"And I suppose you're the second?" Klaus questioned, his brother sending him a causal shrug.

"Allow me to put it this way, if you ever reach a stage in life when neither of us want you, you are in a great deal of trouble." Elijah told him.

Klaus nodded before noticing something on his glass, turning it over to view the symbol of the idiot he had been speaking to as of late.

"What is it?" Elijah questioned, but Klaus has already stalked up to the vampire that was now sat at his easel.

"If you don't mind." He picked up his painting and brought it back to the table where his brother was sat and pointed to it.

"Do we have a problem?" August asked.

"Yes, we do."

"Oh, I proudly participated in the thinning of the werewolves." August told them anticipating their questions. "I decapitated of some 90 with my own hands."

"Thinning?" Klaus asked in disgust. "That's a convenient euphemism."

"I'm simply ridding the world of the mongrels that diminish us."

"Mongrels!" Klaus yelled in his rage, before being restrained by his older brother.

"Inferior scourges." August added. "Hardly the apex predators born of Viking stock like you and I friend."