Chapter 24: The Ultimate Cosplayer's Demise (Arc 1 Finale)

Start from the beginning

Why does that sound so familiar??

"Well, it seems like my time is up! Monokuma, go ahead and start the execution!"

"Without further ado, LET'S GIVE IT EVERYTHING WE'VE GOT! IT'S PUNISHMENT TIME!"

Tsumugi looks below her to find a chain clamped on to her neck. She doesn't bear a face of surprise, fear, or any emotion whatsoever. It's as if she was expecting this outcome from the very beginning. She gets dragged away immediately into a red door hidden from view earlier. She is strapped into a seat in a studio filled with mannequins, fabrics, and sewing kits. The floor in front of her opens up to reveal a sewing station rising from its placement.

A Cosplayer's Last Design!
The Ultimate Cosplayer's Execution

A screen popped up in front of Tsumugi. It requested that a very complicated cosplay design should be created and finished within ten minutes. Tsumugi got to work immediately grabbing the fabrics and strings needed to complete the task. She rushed to complete the design as quickly as possible, which caused her fingers to be pricked several times. Sometimes, the needle would even pierce through her fingers completely, which would give out quite a bit of blood. Her blood stained the fabric, and in some areas completely drenched the fabric in her blood. She was struggling to keep a fast pace, and the timer was running out. As the timer reached the two-minute mark, needles were being flung by the Monokubs in her direction. She desperately tried to dodge them before two landed on her throat and shoulder. Her face twisted into an expression of shock and excitement as blood trickled down from her throat. The straps that kept her in the chair were loosened. She collapsed onto the floor, wearing a grin of satisfaction. Before she gave her final breath, she glanced at my direction and gave me a twisted smile. That expression stayed on her corpse as a pool of blood surrounded her.

.

.

.

As the screen faded to black, the silence only grew. I, along with many others, wore expressions of fear on our faces.

"I-I know what she did was terrible and all, but that was a shitty way to go," Miu commented, her voice wavering.

Others made similar comments, but I felt differently. Being the indirect cause of all our friends' deaths, I couldn't forgive such a thing. In fact, I'm relieved she's finally gone.

Monokuma and the kubs stood completely still, not making any movements or comments. I'm guessing that with no one to control them, they'll just stay in place collecting dust.

Most people had left the trial grounds by now, probably trying to recollect themselves from what they had witnessed. Maki, Himiko, Kaito, Kokichi, Kaede, and Rantaro had stayed along with me.

"Well, I'm glad that's over." Kokichi gave a sigh of relief.

"But, on a serious note, I'm grateful that you are alive and well, Sidekick. Who else am I going to train with?"

"Well, maybe Harukawa?" Himiko mentioned.

"...You're right."

"Well, we should probably head to our dorms to rest. We need a fresh mind to look for a way to get out of here after all," Rantaro reminded.

"I'll just stay here for a little bit longer before I head to the dorms."

Rantaro nodded, and everyone else with the exception of me and Kaede headed to the dorms.

Once they left, Kaede pulled me into a tight embrace.

"I-I was so scared that you were gone. I'm so glad you're okay!"

"I'm so sorry Akamatsu. I never meant for it turn out this way."

I started to tear up.

"If anything, I'm so happy that I managed to save you. I-I missed you so much, and when you died, I would have always wished that I could've done something different. That I could've saved you. I-I'm grateful that my wish came true, and that you're alive here with me now."

"Saihara, why did I even matter so much to you? I was useless when it came to your plan, and I was just an emotional mess the entire time..." Kaede trailed off.

I separated from the embrace to make eye contact with her.

"No that's wrong! You matter so much to me because you comforted me, both then and now. If it weren't for you and Kaito, I wouldn't be the person that I am today. I lo-"

I stopped myself before I could say anything else.

What if she didn't feel the same way? She probably does, but I don't know if I want to risk it. There's probably a better time and place to say it anyway.

"Saihara? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. We should probably start heading out now."

"...Okay then."

We walked out of the trial grounds, hoping to never see them again.