Chapter 38.4

Mikey had tears running down his cheeks and blood staining his fingers. His shirt was ripped and he was pressing the pieces to Eric's open wound. He tried to wipe his tears away but it was almost impossible without taking away pressure. His heart was racing, bullets flying overhead. Everything seemed bleak, and Mikey felt as if he couldn't breathe. He looked down at Eric, who's eyes seemed to become more unfocused as more time passed.

"Eric! Eric! Stay with me! Stay awake! You can't close your eyes okay?!" He shouted, jolting him just a bit. His silver eyes slid over to Mikey, tears slipping out of the corners. "You're going to be okay!" Mikey continued to shout, trying to keep steady hands on the wound. He didn't see the soldier who had done this to Eric, but Mikey hoped they got shot. He looked around, searching for Rafa's large frame. He was the one who noticed Eric when he stopped shouting orders. Mikey could still feel the way his heart dropped to his stomach when he had seen the dark haired scout on the sand bleeding out.

The fighting continued around them, but for Mikey it felt as if all time had stopped.

Eurielle could only see Mikey. He was crying, shouting at her not to close her eyes, she tried to listen but her eyelids kept growing heavier as every second passed. Everything felt drawn out, and slow. Is this how dying feels like? She thought, coughing up blood. She wondered how her father would feel when his daughter returned home in a coffin. He'd be so heartbroken... but there was nothing she could do about it anymore, in a way she succeeded and failed. He mind went to Alexander, oh how he'd cry, Eurielle's heart clenched at the thought of seeing him cry for her. And Jumin...oh her poor Jumin, she didn't know if she'd have the heart to see him in the afterlife. She didn't even know if she had the heart to even leave him, after everything that had happened.

Eurielle felt tears drip down her face at the thought of dying. Her eyes fell closed, and all she could hear was Mikey's tortured cries.

"You're a little cruel, you know that?"

Eurielle was face to face with a young girl, she offered Eurielle a wide smile. Holding out her free hand, the other, holding a very detailed lamp. It was dark around them, and silent. The only source of light coming from that lamp. "Where am I?" Eurielle asked, taking a step back. The girl's smile didn't falter as she dropped her hand and shrugged. "I dunno. Where should you be?" Eurielle took a moment to think, and realized she didn't remember. "...I don't know."

The girl said nothing, reaching out to take Eurielle's hand. "That's okay, you can come with me." She chirped, dragging her along. Eurielle didn't struggle, just quietly let the young girl lead her through the darkness. "What's your name?" She found herself asking. Eurielle gasped, putting a hand on her mouth. The girl chuckled, turning ever so slightly to grin at her. "Winfrey." She turned away before Eurielle could reply.

"Don't worry. I know your name." Winfrey spoke, giving Eurielle's hand a light squeeze. "How do you know that?" She asked, tilting her head to the side. Winfrey chuckled again, "someone told me." Eurielle had never felt more confused with someone else's words, or had she? She couldn't remember. They continued to walk for what felt like hours, until Winfrey led them through a path of light. Eurielle blinked a few times, trying to adjust to the sudden brightness.

When she looked up again, there was a field of wheat surrounding her. It shone brightly under the setting sun. The sky was dyed in pinks and oranges and dark blues. Seeming to welcome the night but not quite. "Where am I?" She asked, turning to Winfrey. Eurielle was shocked to see that the girl was now crying. Holding her hand tightly. The tears were falling down her face, however her expression never faltered. "This is a place to rest. Simply put, you make a choice. You can stay here, or you can go back." She pointed ahead, where two tall pillars stood. Side by side, and crumbling. "You need to make a choice before they completely deteriorate," Winfrey turned to Eurielle. "Not many get this choice, Eurielle. Choose wisely."

Eurielle felt as if Winfrey had wisdom beyond her years, or she was much older than she had believed her to be. As she had the appearance of a twelve year old. Eurielle looked towards the pillars, "where do they lead to?" She asked. Winfrey followed her gaze, a look of longing passing her face. "Back." She answered, "back where?" Eurielle pushed, stepping closer. Winfrey smiled, and that was her answer.

Eurielle began to ponder. She said, back...but back to where? Where would she go back to? She couldn't remember anything. Ahead, the pillars began to crack. "Hurry now." Winfrey reminded her. "What if I choose not to go through them?" She asked, Winfrey sighed, her smile never faltering. "You'll stay here. With me."

Eurielle looked around her, the area they were in was so tranquil, and quiet. It was just the two of them alone, no other signs of life. If Eurielle stepped through those pillars, she'd be leaving Winfrey alone. "Don't think about me." She suddenly said, pulling Eurielle's attention back to her. "Choose what you want. I'm not as alone as you think I am." For some reason Eurielle couldn't bring herself to believe her. "How could I leave you all by yourself?" She asked. Winfrey chuckled, wiping away her tears. "You'll be leaving too many alone in the process." She replied.

Eurielle couldn't shake her confusion, who would be be leaving alone? The one in front of her was Winfrey. She couldn't remember anything, wouldn't it be simpler to stay? "I know what you're thinking, but it would be for the best of you went." Winfrey didn't bother to try to explain where exactly she'd be going.

Eurielle opened her mouth to say something, but was shoved forward by Winfrey. "Go..." she whispered, continuing to push her forward. "Don't leave him by himself...please..."

Eurielle stumbled forward, suddenly faced with the crumbling pillars. She turned towards the weeping girl, and the wheat field. "I'll come back." She said, giving her a warm smile. Winfrey couldn't hold back her grin. "All come here one day." Was all she said, as she reached forward and gently pushed Eurielle forward again.