ii. district thirteen

Rubble upon rubble was all that was left of District Twelve. The district was bleak before but now it was just tragic. Grief swept into Rosen, this was Natalie and Peeta's home and now it was nothing more than a graveyard. Gone was Katniss' family home, gone was the Mellark's bakery. Everything was destroyed apart from the victors village. Rosen didn't know how to explain to the Mellark twins that they were the last of their family when they get rescued from the Capitol... if they get rescued.

Ever since the news of the capture of Peeta, Johanna and Natalie reached the residents of District Thirteen and the remaining victors of the Quarter Quell, Cato hadn't been the same. He had taken out all of his anger and frustration in the only way he knew how; by spending his time in the small training room they had stocked with weapons and training dummies. Nobody could get through to him, not even his own daughter to which Haymitch had taken up the responsibility for and looked after. Rosen was expecting many mishaps by now but surprisingly Haymitch had been handling it much better than anyone would've thought.

Rosen watched as Katniss moved from her old home and towards the victors village, burnt bodies of all ages laying in piles on the roads. She didn't know where to look, not knowing where one body began and one ended. Most of District Twelve died that night the forcefield field and . Devastation and chaos was everywhere she turned. She couldn't imagine how Katniss and Gale must be feeling returning to a place they once called their home, now in complete ruin.

She knew that her grandfather was lethal but this was something she couldn't get over. How many districts would have to suffer for a crime that was committed over seventy five years ago? How many more children would have to be sent to their deaths for something to change?

Rosen thought she knew what she was getting into when she insisted to be in the games. But she had never anticipated the outcome. She missed her freedom, regardless of how small it had been originally. District thirteen was a whole new prison, one that she was struggling not to escape from. Finnick was the only thing that was keeping her there. They could be together without having to hide away. It was a small blessing she guessed, but there was a nagging feeling in her gut that she couldn't shake off. That it was going to come crashing down, and it was all of matter of when. 

The victors village had stood out compared to the rest of District Twelve. It was no surprise that any survivors sought for sanctuary here, waiting for anyone to come and save them. Rosen didn't need to count how many houses were still standing, only three mattered the most. Gale immediately went for the house that Haymitch and Natalie occupied whereas Rosen followed Katniss into her home. 

They didn't have long until the hovercraft was going to be ready to collect them so they needed to act quick. Katniss didn't have much personal processions, mostly grabbing any medicine that would be useful for her mother and sister then a photograph of her father. 

"Wait," Katniss said suddenly, making Rosen paused to look at her. At first she didn't hear it but then she heard a meow. She walked towards the kitchen when she saw a large, fluffy ginger cat coming through the window, staring at the two females. 

Katniss reached down, scooping the cat into her arms, despite its hissing before placing it inside her bag without saying anything. Rosen raised an eyebrow when Katniss glanced her way. "Buttercup, it's Prim's cat." Katniss said finally. Rosen heard the infamous cat that Prim had thought to be dead or lost somewhere in District Twelve, at least it would give her comfort to see an old friend. It was all something that they needed right now. 

As they step outside, a ladder drops down from the hovercraft, the first to climb was Katniss who was quickly followed by Gale. Rosen looked around the victors village once last time, checking for anything that could suggest that the Capitol had found their current location. When she couldn't find anything in sight, she began to climb.