xv. ...have violent ends

Nerves began to eat away at Natalie as they began their hike to the lightning tree. They travelled through the dark, letting the light from the moonlight guide their way. It didn't little to no help as they constantly tripped over the branches that littered the path. She couldn't stop herself from wondering whether any of them was going to victim to the wire. Wondering who was going to shoot first and whose blood would soon coat her hands. 

The Panem anthem began to blast throughout the arena, causing the group to halt to a stop. Natalie took Cato's hand in hers, pushing aside the pain in her stomach as she watched the fallen memorial that now played in the sky. First was the District 1 siblings, followed shortly after Wiress. Mags came soon after and it was hard to believe that it was only mere hours in that morning that they had lost her. The female morphing from District Six came next, and then Chaff from District Eleven. 

As the image disappeared, the music faded until it was the sound of their breathing that everyone could hear. Natalie glanced at the wary faces of Finnick, Johanna, Rosen and Beetee as the seconds crept past. The longer they stood, the less time they had to put their plan into action. But Natalie savoured those precious seconds as she took a deep breath, hoping it would ease the stabbing pains. 

One moment later and they were walking once again. With each step, they neared the tree. The smoke was still fresh in the air, despite the tree not being struck in twelve hours. It was past ten when the group of seven finally what Cato liked to call 'the death tree.' Up close, the it appeared more daunting, dominating the surrounding areas. 

After Beetee had the studied the tree, him and Peeta wrapped the wire tightly around the trunk and branches close to the bottom. Rosen and Finnick watched as they worked, talking in hush voices. Both bore worried expressions, Rosen glancing between Johanna and Natalie as if she were deciding one last scheme. 

Once the work was completed, Beetee picked the coil up and handed it to Natalie. "You, Rosen and Johanna should go now. Take this and unspool it carefully. Make sure that the rest of the wire is in the damp sand and then run back into the jungle for safety. You understand?"

"I want to go with them as a guard." Cato spoke immediately, stepping between Natalie and the two females that easily harm her as he rested his hand on her back, rubbing small circles which had eased some of tension Natalie felt. 

"They can protect themselves, they are more than capable. I need you to say here and protect me and the tree." Beetee looked at Cato from over his glasses. 

"Then I can go with them." Peeta suggested. 

"There are two Careers out there. I need two guards." Beetee insisted, irritation clear in his voice. 

"You have Finnick to protect you." Peeta argued. 

"Finnick is just there to stand and look pretty, letting all the girls do the hard work." Rosen smiled sweetly towards the said victor, who had only grinned back in response. The two hadn't said any goodbyes, knowing they would see each other soon. Hopefully in District Thirteen., if all went as planned and Plutarch kept to his word.

"No! I'm not leaving my wife, who is pregnant by the way if you haven't forgotten." Cato spoke, his voice laced with anger. His fists were clenched tightly by his side, his knuckles turning white from holding the weapon. He was a Career after all. It was in his nature to be bloodthirsty, those instincts hadn't left just because he was married. If anything, they had worsen due to the wanting to protect his wife and child at all costs. 

"It's Beetee's plan, we all agreed to go along with it." Finnick announced.

"Cato, I'll be fine." The pair would find a way back to each other unharmed, they pulled each other out from the deep end. If they can survive the dark times, then they could survive this. Cato glared at Beetee before leaning down and kissed her softly.