xii. let the games begin

"ARE YOU READY?"

Natalie looked completely shattered. Her skin had hardly any color to it apart from the dark circles underneath her eyes. The bottom of her hair was thick with split ends, her roots turning grey with stress.

"Yes" The tribute lied easily through her teeth. Of course, either of them brought it. Nobody was ever ready for the games, apart from the narcissistic assholes.

     That was the end of the conversation, or at least it seemed.

     "Do not enter the cornucopia at any cost" Both heads whipped around to the mentor, the first words he had spoken since he entered the room with Natalie and Cinna.

     "Why the bloody hell not?" Natalie questioned with an arched eyebrow.

"Do you want to die?" Haymitch answered back, mimicking her actions.

The two stared at each other for a moment, a silent conversation playing in their heads. Natalie was about ready to tear her hair out and scream into a pillow. Haymitch was about ready to lock her in a room and not let her out until the games were finished.

In the short amount of time, Haymitch admired the young female. She was the first tribute who he properly cared about. Natalie wasn't afraid of putting herself in danger, she proved that much during their talk. She was willing to do anything for her family, even if it meant not surviving in the end.

     "Is this one of those moments where we hug and sulk until we're forced apart because that is just pathetic." Natalie spoke, ruining the mood.

"No I just wanted to say good luck." Haymitch corrected, not telling her the real reason on what he entered the room. Instead, he wrote it all in a letter hours later.

•••

     The Games were about to begin, she could feel it in her bones. Every tremor running through her body, every lick of sweat dripping from her palms. Natalie had no idea what the Arena would be like. There was no way to predict what it would be. For once, she was prepared for anything, expect this. There was no preparation for what she would encounter in the Arena. What terrifying mutations would she be forced to deal with? What horrors could possibly end her life?

Natalie could barely focus as she walked to the elevator, Haymitch by her side. It wasn't until she heard the familiar loud and sharp noise that she was brought back to reality. "Please don't go the cornucopia." The father figure pleaded, turning his attention to the tribute. "No matter how much they try to tempt you."

"Remember what we spoke about." Natalie looked up at Haymitch's cool blue eyes. "You turn, run, find ground, look for water. Water is your new best friend. Oh, and don't step off that pedestal early, they'll blow you sky high."

Natalie was about to answer back, until she felt Haymitch wrap his arms around her small figure. "You better not die, kid."

The female wanted to promise him but she couldn't find the words. She had told Haymitch that she was going to die, but it scared her. She didn't want to die at such a young age but it was worth it, if it meant protecting Peeta.

The elevator doors opened, immediately blinding the pair. Once Natalie regained her eyesight, she took in the massive pad, the giant hovercraft resting in the middle.

She took one last glance at her mentor before waling to her the ship, towards her death.

•••

"Give me your arm."

Snapping out of her daydream, she looked up at the woman who had her dark brown hair died back as far as it could go. The bottom half of her face was covered with a mask that was the same color as her uniform. In her hand was a large needle that was about to pierce her arm.