Chapter Eight: Snickers

Start from the beginning

“Some do, but the majority is from other places.” Ryan shook his head laughing.

“Wow, my mother is smart.” I said my thoughts out loud.

“Your mother?” Ryan stopped laughing for a second. “What does your mother have to do with this?”

“My mother aka Cruella De Vil tricked me into this.” I sighed.

“To what?”

“To start at this all Jesus and God and blah blah blah school. She hadn’t told me shit about where or what kind of school I was beginning in. She only told me it was a school that suited me and I took the bait, and without a word I followed her. She drove me for a while; I must have slept on the way because whoopdidoo look at me now, I’m in freaking Texas. Not only that, I am in a boarder school which she also didn’t tell me shit bout.”

“Your mother sounds terrific.”

“Indeed.” I laughed, but it faded with another sigh. “If only my father was here.”

I shut my mouth fast, shocked by myself and how I could possibly even mention my father. I didn’t dare to look at Ryan. This was a soft topic. I never talked to anyone about my father.

Ryan suddenly took my hand and just held it like a sandwich between his two hands. I was about to jerk away, after all he was just a stranger. But then I saw the sincerity in his eyes as I turned my head. He looked at me, and I just knew that he knew that my father was a soft topic.

“Where’s your father?” he asked calmly. I was admirable of how his gaze never left mine.

“Iraq.” I blurted and mentally slapped myself. What the hell?

I had never, ever told anyone about my father. And there I was, blurting it all out in front of a complete stranger. A stranger I only wanted to use.

Ryan nodded slowly and the seriousness was gone. He looked outside the window on my right where the big white Wal-Mart building was.

“I have an urge for some chocolate.” Ryan switched to another topic, I mentally thanked him.

“Yeah I would love me some Snickers.”

We said the last word at the same time which sent us both laughing so hard.

“I love snickers!” I cried between my laughs. He nodded laughing.

“Me too!”

The seriousness and the tension for seconds ago were replaced by sheer joyfulness.

“People don’t usually like them.” Ryan hiccupped out. He had the cutest laugh a boy could ever have.

“It’s impossible.” I agreed, shaking my head with a smile. “Snickers is like, the best chocolate ever.”

“Agreed.” Ryan shook his head and stopped laughing. He held his hand on the door handle and went out. Seconds after he was by my door and once again, a true gentleman. He opened it and waited for me to step out.

I smiled with gratitude at his way as I stood up. Surprising me he crooked his arm with mine, and so we walked in to the mega store as the typical couple. I had to smile like a goof by that. Ryan wasn’t an ok-guy. He was the nicest, cutest, cheery guy I’ve ever met.

“After you my lady.” we came to the automatic door that made a svoosh sound as they opened by our arrival. I grinned at him, and not caring if anyone saw it or not, I bowed like a queen. Ryan laughed again by that. I could never get tired by his laugh.

We hunted down the spot where the chocolates was supposed to be, but with no success. We had our weird conversation under the search, for an instant we talked about the awesomeness by our childhood TV-show SpongeBob, but at last we stopped and gave up.