viii. crazy woman

Start from the beginning

"Al, you are sick," June said, looking to her as she tried to start the car up again. "It could be cholera, dengue fever..." She took the key from Al's fingers before she could put it in the ignition again.

"Are you kidding me?" Al questioned as if June was a mild inconvenience, before attempting to take off her seatbelt.

"...Malaria–"

"I'm getting my van back."

"Screw the van, Al!" June shouted, startling both Al and Kamille. "You need medicine! Antibiotics!"

"I have it," Al snapped. "Cipro, Amoxicillin–"

"Where?"

"Where do you think?" Al breathed out with annoyance. "In the van."

"Fuck," Kamille muttered, looking back, only to see the van was still long gone.

"We need to get it back," Al said calmly.

Kamille would have rather left the van and found another way, not wanting to get into conflict with another person, but since it was their only plan, she knew they had to agree.

"Fine," Kamille spoke up, before getting out the car and opening Al's door. "We'll replace the tyre and you're gonna rest up in the back."

"Kamille–"

"She needs the medicine," Kamille cut off June gently. "We get that, help Al, get her van, find a signal, then find the others. Easy, right?"

"Barely," June mumbled, but got out the car, too. "Let's do it."

After settling Al into the back of the car, June and Kamille got to work in replacing the punctured tyre as quickly as they could. Fortunately, there were no infected around, so they didn't have to worry about any surprise attacks.

Unfortunately, the sound of gunshots made everyone look into the distance with confusion.

"Those are my guns!" Al realised, forcing herself to sit up.

Kamille looked up at June who rounded the car to see Al.

"It's close, you can go on foot," Al said desperately.

"We're almost done here," June said reassuringly, but Al was adamant.

"They could be gone by then," she argued.

"She can't go herself," Kamille said to Al, standing up and seeing her through the window. "And we can't leave you here by yourself."

"Yes, you can," she said with certainty.

"No," June responded sternly.

Al pulled a face, struggling to stay sitting up for long. "Look, I know it hasn't worked out for you when you leave people behind, but you can do this. It's the only way I'm gonna get the meds I need."

June closed her eyes thoughtfully, seeming to have an internal conflict. Kamille cursed inwardly before speaking up.

"I'll go," she said, earning both women's attention. "June, you can stay here with Al and replace the tyre. I'll go."

"No, I got it," June said instantly, already reaching into her bag and pulling out the radio. She handed it to Al, saying, "You take the long range." She looked to Kamille. "If I don't come back, find the person on this radio and get help."

"June, I said I'll go," Kamille said, rounding the car to talk to her properly.

"And I'm telling you I'm going," she said, before grabbing her gun and backpack. "Just meet me when you fix the tyre. I'll radio when I have it."