i. and the search begins

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, it's in my bag," Kamille said without realising, already reaching into a backpack she didn't know she was wearing.

When she pulled the homework out, she looked up and everybody was gone. She wasn't in her living-room anymore, but instead in the bedroom Alicia and her had shared back at the hotel.

"You okay?" Alicia asked from the ensuite doorway, staring at her with worry.

Kamille looked down at her hands, seeing the necklace Alicia had given her – the one with the moon pendant. She was holding the chain, it dangling in her hands.

"I can put it on for you," Alicia said, making Kamille look up, and the brunette was already stood before her with a radiant smile dancing on her lips. "Come on. Turn around."

Kamille let her take the necklace and turned around, feeling Alicia tie the clasp around her neck.

"There. Beautiful," Alicia settled, spinning Kamille to face her and admiring the sight. "The necklace looks great, too."

Kamille smiled subconsciously, her stomach fluttering with butterflies as Alicia's green eyes stared into her brown ones.

"I love you," Kamille said suddenly.

Alicia let out a small laugh. "I love you, too, Kam."

Kamille couldn't remember anything else, the dream fading into nothing as she stirred awake.

Her eyes ached, as if she'd been asleep for too long, then she felt the aching in her whole body, like she'd been tossed out of a moving train. Her eyes barely opened when she caught a glimpse of a young girl, unrecognisable, hovering over her. Her mouth was moving, but the words weren't coming out, and then Kamille's eyes closed again.

This time, it wasn't her imagination playing tricks on her, making those she missed meet in one place, something that would never happen. It was a memory, a reminder of the painful event that changed her life dramatically.

She was standing in the hospital beside Adam, her twin crying his eyes out as he held onto their mother's limp hand. They'd both overdosed after getting infected from one of their patients. They refused to let Kamille and Adam see them in an even worse state, like the other infected they'd dealt with, so they killed themselves.

Kamille had tried to put this memory to the back of her mind, tried to forget the agonising pain in her chest as she saw the monitor show a flat line, their hearts having stopped beating. She had tried to forget the way Adam had tears streaming down his face, face pressed to the hospital bed as he sobbed beside their mum's dead body. She had tried to forget the way her eyes were wet with tears but she couldn't get them out.

A knock on the door got Kamille's attention and she turned to see a nurse, the one who'd given them a moment to say their goodbyes a few minutes ago.

"I'm sorry, but–"

"We know," Kamille got out with a broken voice. "We're going."

Their had been an influx of admissions since the outbreak had began. But it was too early to figure anything out, so all they could do was fill the hospital with sick people and try their best. If only they had known.

She remembered having to force Adam away from her parents, saying a final prayer for them, before pulling him away. He immediately fell into her arms as she held him close, trying to contain his sobs. But her own tears were falling now, and soon enough, they were both sobbing messes in the hallway.