Chapter 26 The Golden girl.

The night grew closer, and the stars began to glow in the darkness of the night. Maria sat on a bench, with her gaze on the brightest star in the sky.  It had been a few weeks since her daughter Hope was found and returned.  Everything was calm and peaceful, but Maria felt an ache in her heart as she just sat there. 

"Why am I so worried?" The silent question sounded across her mind.

"My family is back together. What can go wrong? Hasn't the worst happened?" Maria closed her eyes and leaned into the bench. Suddenly, the sound of a twig snapping behind the trees and bushes startled her. Now her attention was drawn into the trees, where she could hear a small sound of crying; A child's cry.  Curious, Maria stood up and looked over towards the bushes, staring into the eyes of a little girl, her eyes where a bight silver, like those of the goddess Athena and her hair was blonde, like gold in the moonlight. And on her back sprouted large, black, beautiful wings covered in crimson blood, and by the very bone attached to her back was an opening where the wings had torn flesh. 

'Poor child,' Maria's gaze moved towards the other person who was slowly approaching the young girl. The shadows of the trees covered this person, and the slow movement caused suspense. Maria waited until it stepped into the moonlight. Annabeth stood there, staring at the child furiously.

"Look at you, pathetic!" Annabeth sneered and kicked the young girl across the chest, only earning a loud yelp in return. The girl cowered like a hurt puppy as Annabeth circled her.

"You know what you're good for, and I expect you to follow through it," Annabeth turned around, glancing back to give the girl one last look.

"And try not to look so pathetic, you're my daughter, you aren't allowed to look so weak,"

Maria felt a sting of tears building up in her eyes as she watched the little girl sniffle and hiccup, trying her best to hold back another wave of tears.

'Bitch' Maria mentally screamed, glaring at Annabeth back as she slowly disappeared back into the shadows.

"I'm sorry, mommy," the little girl hiccuped and wiped the tears from her eyes. Maria stayed still, watching the little girl sit there on the ground and stare the dirt.

Finally, Maria pushed through the bushes and neared the little girl.

"Hey," Maria looked at the child and slowly kneeled to her height. Even then, Maria towered over the girl.

"What's your name?" Maria asked, slowly reaching her hand out.  

"Mendi," The girl spoke in a whisper. Maria looked into her gray gaze and gave out a small hum.

"Mendi, my dear, would you like to come with me, those wounds look serious, I'd like to get them taken care of before they get infected."  Mendi gave a small nod as she sniffled and wiped her runny nose with her shirt sleeve.  Maria smiled and helped her stand and noticed the brushes covering Mendie's arms and legs. Her light blue summer dress was still covered with blood, both dry and recent blood.  

"Come on, dear, let's get you into a warm bath," Mendi nodded and gave Maria a small genuine smile. Before following the older woman.

Maria smiled and held the girl's hand and led her towards a big brick house, surrounded by guards and demigods.

"What is this place?" Mendi asked, afraid, gripping onto Maria's pants. Maria looked down at the child and patted her head to reassure her.

"My daughter lives her with her siblings and her husband; you'll be safe." Mendi glanced back towards the trees and noticed her mother there, watching with a crazed grin.      

Maria opened the door and led the young girl inside. Mendi, looked around, only to see the comfortable-looking living room, nothing seemed extravagant. Just Ordinary. 

"Welcome to our humble home; we'll take care of you here, hun."  Mendi then noticed the other children sitting on the couches, watching Tv.

The news to be precise. Mendi may be young, but she understood what was going on, and what her purpose was.  Her mother never failed to remind her.

"Hey, come on."  Maria leads Mendi through the house, and towards a restroom, but in front of the bathroom was a couple. Mendi grip tightened as she laid eyes on them.

"Is that Daímonas?" Mandi asked, almost in awe, but behind her tone was something else Maria couldn't identify.  Maria just looked at Mendi with a small smile and nodded her head as a response. It took her a few seconds to speak, and the sudden pause nerved Mendi.

"Yes, and that's my daughter at his side."  Mendi then caught a glimpse at the girl, and she knew who she was.

"Hope," Mendi whispered. The name caused a throbbing pain to fill her heart. In front of Mendi was her purpose.

"I only let you exist because I see a good use for you," Annabeth stood over Mendi, blood was splattered over her hands as she held a belt. 
Mendi sobbed in pain as her mother raised her arm to strike her again. 

The belt soon met flesh and left a deep red gash on the girl's tender skin. "No more, please." The young girl sobbed, gripping a blanket under her small arms, and used it to muffle her screams and cries.

"You're going to pass that curse onto Hope, and then you can do whatever you want, I won't care." Mendi looked up at her mother with a tearful gaze. She knew that this was her only escape from her torment.  Athena had given Annabeth's children a curse, which Annabeth found a good use for, now with Currroption on her side, the curse will transfer to someone else. And not just anybody, Annabeth had a target, and with a host to hold the evil, her plans were now in motion.

Mendi looked at Hope and bit her bottom lip, and shakenly walked towards the pregnant woman.
'I can just hand it over now...'
Her small wobbles moved towards the unknowing couple. Mendi's gaze focused on Hope, as she reached her arms out towards Hope's direction. 

'Do what mommy told me too...'  Her thoughts swirled as she got closer. Finally, Mendi stood in front of Hope, staring up at her with wide saucer eyes.  Tears are building up in her silver gaze as she took hold of Hope's hand. An unnoticeable black mark passed from Mendi to Hope.

"You're pretty," Mendi whispered, guilt struck as Hope's confused expression turns into a brilliant smile. Unaware of what had just happened. 

"Oh, Thank you!" Hope bent down and looked at Mendi's eyes, but Mendi's gaze was on Hope's hand, where a black dot rested on her side. Near her thumb.

Another hand clapped onto Mendi's back, causing her to snap her attention to the hand's owner, only to see the Dragon himself.

"Why are you injured?" Mendi's eyes filled with tears, and her lips trembled ferociously. As she glanced over her shoulders, the black wings were beginning to disappear, the curse transferred to Hope. Eventually, it would affect her life.

"I..." Mendi fell silent, not wanting to incriminate her mother.

"Annabeth happened, she's the girl's mother, and Annabeth was beating the girl," Maria spoke. Mendi swallowed a bit of saliva as she looked at the older woman. Daímonas nodded his head and looked at Mendi.

"Let her stay with your daughters, she'll be safe here. Please take care of her wounds." Hope looked at Mendi and smiled.

"You'll be safe here." Mendi dropped her head to look at the ground.

'But you aren't anymore,'