Chapter 22 Turning the tides

Daímonas sighed as he pressed his forehead against his sleeping wife. Hope's breathing was so soft it was like a sweet lullaby to his ears, it was a calming sound that left his mind at ease. Daímonas smiled sadly, pressing a soft kiss against the side of her head.

"I miss you, Hope," Her name rolled out of his tongue with so much adoration that it was impossible to recognize the fierce Daímonas in there. Now the real Percy was shining through the cracks of his shattered soul.

"I'm terrified," He chuckled humorlessly as he held his wife's hand with a tight grip. His fingers curled effortlessly around her soft skin. After such a long time apart, Percy found comfort in this sleeping wife's presence.

"It's really hard to not rush over here and kiss you, it's been weeks since I have seen you, kissed you, hugged you," Percy sat upright and glanced down to her belly. A faint golden glow immerged from Hope's womb. His heart ached at the sight of it, both from excitement and horror.

"I'm so sorry," Percy gently placed his hand over her belly and gave it a light kiss.

"For our family, I'll do anything, and I mean it," Percy watched as his wife stirred around in her sleep, and he knew she was waking up. Hope's eyes fluttered slightly, only getting a glimpse of the man before her. Hope's eyes shut closed but then opened as she sat up, but when she turned to look beside her. No one was there like she had seen. Or she thought she'd seen.

Hope rubbed the sleep away from her eyes, yawned, and looked around the room again. Nothing was out of place. At least not from what she could see, only the soft light from the hallway glowing through the cracks of the doorway, giving her room a bit of illumination, but she still sat in a dark room looking around into the dark corners.

"Damn, Annabeth must have pushed us too hard at training today, now I'm dreaming weirdly," She muttered as she tucked herself back into bed and snuggled into the warmth.

Percy breathed out in relief as he shadow traveled out of the room, appeared in the living room. Of course, it was empty. All the kids were in bed, sleeping soundly. Percy glanced around and noticed the few clothes were scattered everywhere, but he wasn't judging.

"Percy," Percy turned around and spotted Maria standing in the entrance of the living room, watching him with concern in her gaze.

"Is everything alright?" Percy cracked a smile and turned to look at his mother in law. She was standing under the faint light shining from her behind her. Percy glanced at the door leading into his wife's bedroom.

"Hope's pregnant," He said distinctly and causing a gasp to escape out of Maria's lips. She stumbled back slightly at the news. Glances were exchanged as they stood there. No sounds could be heard except the very faint footsteps of the night guards from outside in the hallway.

"What..." Maria mumbled as she rubbed her hands together nervously. Percy noticed the way her lips twitched, almost as if she wasn't sure if she should be happy or worried. Maria had a slight glaze over her gaze.

"What will we do when she starts showing symptoms?" Maria asked as she paced into the living room. Percy gently held her by the shoulder and sat her down on the couch. Maria breathed heavily, her legs quivering fast as if she had too much coffee to drink.

"Please calm down, I know this isn't easy. I should know," Maria laughed softly as she wiped away a single tear.

"I'm so happy," She let out a small laugh. Percy rubbed the back of his head. The news was good, but also very bad.