Chapter Nine

The school week started before anybody was ready. However, Remus was ready. Today was the first day of the battle and nobody was more excited than the mustached drummer. He hardly slept the night before. However, no amount of sleep could help with the amount of adrenaline pumping through his veins.

An announcement through the loudspeakers of his school let the bands excuse themselves early in order to set up by lunch so the voting could begin as soon as possible. Remus quickly fled from his English language class, quickly flipping off his teacher before hurrying to his locker to grab his drumsticks.

As he got there, Janus and Virgil were waiting for him, smirks on both of their faces. As Remus twirled the metal lock around to open his locker, the two boys began to chat.

"Remember the plan we discussed yesterday, okay?" Virgil started.

"We just have to get those assholes off the stage as long as possible so we can cut their AUX cords so the music won't play," Janus reminded them. Remus pulled a sharp pair of scissors out along with his drumsticks. There was a crazy tint in his eyes. This was it. Finally showing Remy not to mess with them. It was almost a dream come true.

The bell rang, signaling the trio to get to the stage quickly to pick up their instruments. The three ran like the wind, barely making it backstage to sign-in, stating their presence. There was a bass guitar and keyboard set aside for Janus and Virgil while Remus' drums were already on stage for another band to use.

At least 8 other bands were also in the auditorium. They were all talking amongst themselves. Some were rehearsing lyrics, while others were going over sheet music one last time. Remy's band was on the stage, plugging in their instruments while people cheered for them.

"They're hardly even doing anything! Why are people cheering!" Janus complained.

"It's all a popularity contest, Jany. That's all high school is! Those guys are worshipped like the sun and moon," Virgil said.

"But that'll change here very very soon," Remus muttered, slipping the scissors into his pocket.

Remy plugged in the microphone which gave small feedback before returning to normal. The band teacher walked out on stage, waving to everyone while the tech student's worked on the lights.

"Alright band members, listen up!" She shouted. Get yourselves some lunch and be back here as soon as you're done! The rest of your peers will either come in here to see you play or catch the live stream from their phones!" As she said this, everyone became aware of the video camera hanging from the ceiling, capturing everything.

"I hate being recorded," Virgil panicked.

"Don't worry, my love. You won't even notice it while you're playing. Just imagine us in Remus' garage. Where no one is watching us and no one is around," Janus comforted him.

Students started piling out, heading to the cafeteria for a quick meal. Remus stayed behind, getting lightly pushed to the side by Remy as he, Emile, and Patton left. The student found it odd that Logan wasn't with them, but he brushed it off for the time being.

Quickly and quietly, Remus walked behind the speakers that had Remy and Patton's guitar plugged into them along with a plug to a keyboard.

With the scissors in his hand, Remus smirked widely. He held Remy's guitar wire behind the blades, getting hauntingly closer to it with each passing second. And he was about to snap it when he heard the auditorium door open.

In came Logan, carefully looking around for anyone before approaching the stage. Remus panicked, ducking further behind the speaker and covering his head. He was almost positive that Logan had seen him. But sure enough, Logan passed the speaker and walked right over to the keyboard. His keyboard.

The student pressed a few keys, making sure it was plugged in before laying his fingers upon it delicately and striking down a few notes.

"It's nine o'clock on a Saturday. The regular crowd shuffles in," Logan began to sing in the most beautiful voice Remus had ever heard. "There's an old man sitting next to me. Makin' love to his tonic and gin. He says, 'Son, can you play me a memory? I'm not really sure how it goes. But it's sad and it's sweet, and I knew it complete when I wore a younger man's clothes.'"

Remus could see the passion on the boy's face for every single note he pressed down upon. The way his smile shined in the theater lights and how his fingers danced weightlessly along the keys.

"Sing us a song, you're the piano man! Sing us a song tonight! We're all in the mood for a melody and you've got us feelin' alright," Logan was getting ready to hit the next keys when the auditorium door flung open. Both Logan and Remus jumped in shock. The keyboard played an awful sound as Logan smashed the keys in shock.

"There you are, Logan!" Remy's grumble could be heard. "You got Patton and Emile all worried, we haven't seen you all damn day!"

"You know how I get right before performing, Remy. It's hard enough to play with you breathing down my neck plus, I need to warm up," Logan deadpanned, straightening his glasses.

"Just come on! Come calm them down and then we'll come back here and play!" With that, Logan hopped off the stage and joined Remy. Remus' heart was pounding. He was ready to take his scissors and without cutting any cords, leave.

However, just as he got up, his foot got caught in the cords, causing him to fall flat on his face. Logan turned around to investigate the noise, just in time to see a shadowy figure with short, bouncing curls leave the stage. Logan smirked, walking out with Remy and a red hue on his cheeks.