Chapter Three

The bus slowed itself to a stop nearing the beginning of Janus and Virgil's cul-de-sac. The three got off the bus, heading forwards towards the boy's houses. Even though Remus didn't live here, he didn't mind going out of his way to walk with his friends home.

Janus and Virgil tightly held hands. Their neighborhood was a scary place, it didn't take much to see Virgil's anxiety was getting the best of him. Remus walked behind them, making sure no one would jump the poor boys. The walk was rather quiet, more so than usual.

"Something up, Janus?" Remus finally asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Guess Remy's dumb band and what he said is really sticking with me. I know they shouldn't, but I can't help but want to punch him senseless for it." Janus admitted. Virgil rubbed a hand along his boyfriend's arm, trying to calm him.

"He's wrong though! You understand that don't you?" Virgil said, a concerned tint in his voice.

"Is he? Maybe not about all of it, but he's right. Our band means nothing to the rest of the school. His band is popular, and ours simply lives its shadows!"

"That's not true, Janus!" Remus interjected. "We may be unheard of now, but we won't be! We just need a good gig or a big break!"

"Face it, Remus! We're never gonna get that! Remy's right; who wants to listen to the freaks!"

"Janus, you have no proof of that!" Virgil countered. All of their ears perked up as they heard the horn of a car from behind them. They all turned their heads, seeing someone driving up behind them. The driver and passenger's had their arms hanging out of the windows, eggs in hand.

"Run! RUN!" Remus commanded. The boys struggled to move but sprinted away as the car followed them closely, chucking eggs at them. They were mainly missing, but occasionally, the boys breathing would stutter as an egg would clash with their spines.

The car was going faster than they could run. Thinking quickly, Janus lead them through the neighborhood. At the end of the road was a rotten wood fence. They ran up to it, huffing and puffing while he helped Virgil over the fence. Remus gave Janus a boost over it before crawling over it himself.

As he landed, he could see that they were sitting in Janus' lawn, Virgil's house across the way. Remus peeked over the fence, seeing the car turning around. "Freaks!" Someone in the car yelled before taking off, leaving dust in their wake.

Virgil and Janus were leaning against the fence, the emo was in the midst of panicking while his boyfriend was trying to ease his mind. "Easy, Virgil. Keep breathing. In and out, there you go," Eventually it worked, his tired head leaning against Janus. "Don't you guys get it now? We are freaks. Not just in Remy's eyes, but everyone's."

Virgil's eyes cast downward, unsure of what to say. "That's just an opinion, Janus!" Remus said, helping his friends to their feet. "Opinions change fast. And we can change that opinion, we just need a chance to!"

"Right..." Janus didn't say much more. He just grabbed Virgil's shaking shoulders, taking him home. Remus sighed, unsure if he did something wrong. He decided to head back to his house, figuring he was already gone long enough. But of course, he didn't know if anyone in his house cared that much or not.

He walked back through his friend's neighborhood, walking the route he knew like the back of his hand. Kicking rocks all the way up to his doorstep, he grabbed the doorknob and jiggled it a little. Remus puffed a sigh. Locked. Of course.

Fishing the key from under the mat, he unlocked the door. Inside he saw Roman and his two parents at the dining table with full plates of dinner in front of them. They all gazed over to him, surprise and embarrassment on all of their faces.

"Remus!" His mother cheered. "Sorry honey. We would've left the door unlocked but we thought you'd climb through your window again!"

"I haven't entered through my window since I broke my arm, mom," Remus grumbled. He took a heavy seat in a chair next to Roman. His mother passed him a plate of lukewarm spaghetti, but he wasn't all that hungry. Not with the smell of rotting egg still in his nose, making him slightly ill.

"How was your day, sport?" His dad asked.

"Got chased and egged on the way to Virgil and Janus'," He admitted. He poked his spaghetti with his fork, looking up at his family when no one made a peep about his statement.

"I knew those friends of yours were trouble. Their involved with people who make an idiot out of you!"

"Dad, that's not-"

"Mom! Dad! I was telling you guys something important!" Roman interrupted. Of course, his parents turned back to him. Remus felt as if he could snap his fork in half will all his built-up anger. "Anyway, I got the lead in the fall play!"

"Oh, amazing job, Roman!" His mother gushed.

"That's our boy!" His dad added, "Always on top! Just what you deserve!" Remus was flabbergasted. How the hell does Roman's 'accomplishment' mean more to them than their son's abuse!

Remus wordlessly stood up, heading towards the second floor to his room. "Where are you going, honey? You hardly ate!" His mom pointed out.

"I'm going to my room. Wouldn't want to ruin Roman's celebration," He spat. Continuing up the stairs, Remus stopped by the bathroom for a shower. He could take the smell of his body any longer.

Stripping down, he could tell that he would have to throw away his jacket. It bummed in out a little bit, it was his favorite jacket. He put it with the rest of his clothes as he got into the shower. Eggshells and yolks fell from his head like heavy rainfall. He hadn't realized how much he'd been hit.

About 10 minutes later, Remus stepped out of the shower, feeling a little bit better. He grabbed his clothes, plopping his jacket in the trash can before walking across the hall to his room. He could hear his parents celebrating Roman...again.

Remus couldn't help but sigh. If only he could grab his parent's attention. He liked to believe he could one day, his band just hasn't had a chance. But they would. They would. He hoped.

Inside his room, he fell onto his bed. All of his anger was slowly steaming off of him, making him sleepy. Removing his phone from his pocket, he threw in on the bed while putting on an old T-shirt and boxers.

The mustached student flopped onto his bed, his phone jumping into his hand. He began to flip through his social media, seeing pictures of Roman with Patton, celebrating his lead role. Remus' eyes harshly rolled, scrolling past it.

An ad caught his eye however. It seemed to be from his school. It was a competition for a battle of the bands. It almost sounded too good to be true. He saved it to his account, an idea brewing in his head. This could be his big break. Not only for himself but for Virgil and Janus. Maybe his parents would finally be proud of him Maybe this would change things. Maybe this would change everything.