Episode 8: Unknown

"In order to stage a mutiny, there are a few things you need to know." Says John. "One: How much time do you have?"

"Not much. As soon as the robot gets that engine in place, Hastings will launch and abandon everyone down on that planet." Says Maureen.

"Two: Know your target." Says John.

"The bridge. Can't control the ship from anywhere else." Says Maureen.

"And three: Your obstacles."

"There's too many to count, but let's start with security."

"We're currently operating with a skeleton crew, which means we've only got eighteen security officers on board." I say.

"Only eighteen. How are we supposed to neutralize eighteen highly trained guards?" Asks Maureen.

"We don't need to neutralize eighteen of them. Just one." John says. He taps on a profile on the tablet. "This guy. He'll be armed. So you'll have to be prepared."

"Wait, I'll have to be prepared?" Maureen asks.

John puts his foot on the table, showing the ankle bracelet.

Maureen is silent for a moment.

"You know, you can overpower someone without ever even laying a hand on them." Says Smith.

"How's that?" Maureen asks as she stands.

"Find their weak spot." Says Smith as she approaches us. "Everyone has one. You just have to dig a little, and find out where it is."

"Samantha. Her father was a security officer on the ship." Judy says. "Maybe her mom knows something about this guy. Maybe you could go talk to them."

Smith kinda sways a little. Every time Samantha's father was brought up, Smith seems to space out for some reason. I wonder why.

"Smith." Judy calls to her. "Smith. Smith!"

Smith seems to come back down from wherever she was.

"Will you go find out if she knows anything?" Ask Judy.

"I, uh, I really shouldn't." Smith answers shakily.

"What are you taking about? You're good at getting into people's minds. In, like, a nice way though." Says Penny.

"I think it's best if I'm not seen with all of you." Says Smith, back in her usual character. "Now that I'm in on the inside with Hastings and all."

Judy stands from her place on the table. "I'll go do it." She says s and leaves.

"Now, Penny, Y/n, your turn." John looks at us. "I need you two to get something important for your mom."

"Okay, what do I need to get?" Penny asks in excitement as she approaches John.

"A crew." John says and takes a sip from his mug.

...

As Penny and I walk down the halls, we discuss who we should get.

"I say Naoko. She's the best pilot on the ship." I say as we turn a corner.

"I agree. Oh, we absolutely need Angela." Says Penny.

"Yeah. And... who else..." I think for a moment.

"Don?" Penny suggests.

"Sure." I say. "Let's get Don first since we're closer to his quarters."