Episode 5: Run

We're in the hub of the Azevedo Jupiter and Will has explained to Penny and I that he saw a vision, a clue, to where the robot is. Him and Maureen are going down to the planet to find him.

"I saw what the robot saw." Will says as he packs some things in his bag. "I was looking at a hoodoo rock." He points at a picture of three rock towers on Penny's tablet. "That hoodoo rock."

"So he's been here the whole time." I say.

"Is he okay?" Penny asks as she looks up as Will.

"I don't know. I only saw a flash for a second." Will sighs.

"I'm glad you're going to go get him. I miss his starry face." Penny says and I smile. "How exactly are you gonna finds this particular hoodoo?" Maureen enters and puts a bag on the chair. "I mean, there must be a million out there."

"I cross referenced the data stamp from that photograph to the map surveys of the planet." Maureen explains. "And it looks like the robot is about two-hundred kilometers east of base camp."

"That's convenient." I say.

Maureen smiles. "Your dad'll be fine working at the well and once we pick him up, we can drive there in about a day." Maureen tells the kids.

"Are you, um, sure you don't need me?" Penny asks.

"You know you have school today." Maureen says.

"I thought that was a joke." Penny says as her face falls.

"You haven't been to school in seven months." Maureen says.

"You make us study every day." Penny argues.

Maureen scoffs playfully. "You should be happy for the change of pace."

Penny points at Will. "Will's not going to school."

"Just stay out of trouble." Maureen says. "Or better yet, just wait until I get back."

Penny sighs.

...

Penny calls me telling me that Radic was just transported out of the interrogation room on a gurney. She said that Smith must have done something to him.

We walk to Smith's new office and see her spinning happily in a chair.

"You were arrested." I say.

"A silly misunderstanding." Smith says and I can feel the anger boiling inside of me.

"What did you do to Radic?" I say, trying to keep a level head.

Smith stands up and walks around her desk to meet us. "One minute he was fine and... the next he was on the ground. It... it all happened so fast."

"And now you have an office?" I ask.

"Well, where else am I going to see my patients?" Smith asks as she leans on her desk. "Everyone's been dealing with so much trauma. I wanna do my part. Help everyone heal." She walks closer. "And move on. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of work to do. Unless you want to make an appointment."

"No, thank you." Penny answers.

Smith closes the door on us.

"One of these days." I mumble to myself.

"Let's spy on her. Maybe we could get some proof that she's bad." Penny says.

"You have school." I remind her.

"Not for a bit. We have time. Come on! Let's do some detectiving!" Penny says.

I roll my eyes with a smile. "That's not a word, but okay. If you're late, it's not my fault."

...

We stand behind a pillar for a bit and wait for something to happen. Eventually, Smith comes out of her office with a blue trash bag.

We step out from behind the pillar and follow her. When she turns around to check if anyone was watching, we hide behind another pillar. We peek around the pillar to see that she is throwing the bag into a trash chute. After she leaves, we go to the chute and check if the bag is still there. It's not. Suddenly Penny's radio beeps.

"Reminder, class begins in two minutes." It says.

"Go. I'll see you after class and we'll figure this out." I say.

Penny nods and heads to class.

...

Penny called me telling me that she found something and to meet her right after class. I walk to her class a few minutes after it ends to see Smith already there for some reason along with Vijay and Mr. Jackson, her teacher.

"What did you do to Radic?" I hear Penny ask.

"Hey, hey. What's going on?" I ask as I approach them.

Penny leaves Smith with and Vijay follows as she grabs my sleeve and pulls me along with her.

"You mean besides calling for help and saving his life?" Smith asks from behind us.

We walk down the hallway and Smith stops us again.

"Penny."

"You're not gonna get away with this." Penny whips around to face her in anger.

"You don't understand. I'm trying to protect you." Smith says. "Everyone thinks- No, everyone knows..." Smith slowly approaches us and I stand a bit in front of the kids. "...that I'm a respected member of the twenty-fourth colonist group. You need to accept it." Penny scoffs. "Because if you start making wild accusations that are easily disproven by the facts-"

"You made up the facts." Penny says.

"I just don't want people thinking you're delusional. Because I'm Dr. Smith now. Permanently. Forever." Smith states.

"It doesn't matter what your name is. You are who you are and I promise you that you will not get away with this." I spit in anger and we turn around and keep walking. I have the kids walk in front of me to keep them as far away from Smith as possible.

"I know this is a lot to ask, but can't you guys just be happy for me?" Smith sighs in anger.

I sigh then suddenly Penny calls to Vijay and pulls him back. I look down to see the floor is damaged and has something sweeping up from the cracks.

Smith comes up to us to see what it is and Penny throws her backpack at it. It sinks through the floor taking a vast amount of the floor with it and exposing the stuff that was seeping through the cracks inside of the floor.

"What the hell?" I mumble to myself as the floor continues to degrade in front of our eyes.

*1048 words.