Episode 3: Echoes

"Approaching transport vessel: Resolute. Identification 6-1-2-1-9-1-6." The computer announced as we get closer to the Resolute.

"All right, everyone, wake up." Maureen calls through the radio. "Strap in. We made it."

"No offense, but it will be nice to hear other people's voices." Judy says as we sit, strapped in, inside the hub of the Jupiter.

Penny sighs. "I want ice cream. I want a lot of ice cream. Actually, no. I want any food that cannot be farmed or rehydrated." Says Penny.

I laugh. "What about you, Will? Excited to go back to school?" I tease.

"Uh, yeah. Sure." Will responds distractedly.

"Excuse me." Says Penny. "Who are you and what have you done with my nerdy brother?"

We get closer to the Resolute and we can see it from the skylight. Before Will can respond to Penny, Judy steps in to lighten the awkward air.

"Hey! Check it out." Judy says and we all look up through the skylight.

"Wow." Says Will breathlessly.

"Super happy for you guys." Smith says.

I roll my eyes.

We begin to dock. We unstrap and take off our suits and get ready to leave.

"Okay. We did a lot of dumping." I hear penny say as I enter the airlock.

"I really hope you're not talking about what it sounds like." John and I say at the same time.

We smile and point at each other goofily.

"Hey! Wait up! I'm coming." Don calls as he limps down the hall with Debbie and using his IV stand as a cane.

"No! No! Hey, hey!" Judy exclaims. "You are on bed rest until the paresthesia wears off."

"What? Can't a man stretch his legs?" Don asks as he approaches us.

"Yes, but a man has to be able to use them first." Judy responds.

"What about Y/n? Huh? She got her arm cooked like fried chicken. No offense Debbie. She's fine. I'm fine." Don reasons.

"Aunt Y/n can walk. You can't." Judy retorts.

"I can walk just fine-" Don grunts as he lets go of his IV stand and falls into John.

"Woah. You okay?" John asks as he steadies Don.

"Yep. Yeah, I'm just gonna stay back." Don says as he stands straight.

"Yeah, good idea." John says. "Someone should watch Smith until Radic picks her up."

"Okay, fine. Just one condition." Don says then picks up Debbie. "If any of you run into livestock migration, not a word about Debbie. She's a finders-keepers-type situation." Don limps back to his closet and I turn to leave.

John puts a hand on my good shoulder and stops me.

"Don't over do yourself. You're still healing. You don't have to go." John says.

"I'm okay. I just can't use this arm. I'll be fine." I smile reassuringly.

John smiles uneasily and worriedly back.

Maureen joins us and we leave the Jupiter after we get decontaminated.

The kids run out of the door first and Maureen and John and I follow after. We look around the empty hallway.

"Huh. Well, so much for the welcoming committee." Judy says.

Penny starts running down the hall.