Chapter 18 - Tried

RORY

During my break, I had the chance to spend time socializing with Matt and Claire. I understand why Erin enjoys his company as he's so easy going and friendly. In no time he felt like one of the guys and not someone that I met recently. Claire reminds me so much of Mom. Our interactions at work time are brief, but I've noticed how she comes in that kitchen and takes charge of everything and everyone in an efficient way. Just like Mom did at the bed and breakfast. Back then people were not only guests, they were family and she smothered them as such by finding out their favorite food and making it for them, or simply by helping them organize their vacation schedule. Since Claire's arrival, I have seen Sam relax visibly. He now has someone to share responsibilities with, an equal. I've also seen Adam visiting the kitchen more often than necessary and something tells me it isn't work related, more like colleague related.

Moon Rocks are rocking the house on their second set and the college kids are going wild. Years ago, we were those kids, bar hopping around Greenwood with the hope of one day having a place of our own. The lights dim and I'm anxious about what will happen next. Noah and Erin have been preparing themselves for this moment that could make or break the band engagement.

"Beautiful Moonlight people," Erin calls the crowd. "Thank you for making this Thursday night so special with your energy. We've had so many positive changes here at Moonlight House recently, and a significant conversation with a special man led me to believe that I can try new things. He said that if things don't work, I can at least say that I tried."

Erin looks at Matt who grins at her.

"Matt, this one is for you. We would like to play an original song called At Least, I Tried."

Erin and Noah sit on two stools and he begins to play the beautiful melody we've been hearing coming from the basement in the past days. Matt looks proudly at my sister while Adam's gaze is glued on Claire while she watches the stage. I wish Imogen was here too and can't wait to come home to tell her all about it.

I don't know what I'm doing, and I think I'll cry
But you are right next to me, holding my hand
Telling me don't worry, I think you can
And if it doesn't work, at least, you tried

A few girls in the crowd clean their tears of emotion which are likely made worse by too many sweet cocktails. When the song ends, the people clap hard and Erin looks relieved. I believe this will give her the confidence to play more original material. When the set finishes, Erin joins Matt at the bar and spend a long time in an embrace before heading to the basement. Adam accompanies Claire to the exit to wish her a good night. She certainly enjoyed the music, but her face showed the signs of tiredness after a hard day of work.

Noah comes behind the bar and gets a bottle of water, his face shows an emotion I can't define.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, I am. I guess the song touched me some. We've rehearsed it a million times, but now it has a new meaning to me."

"Because of Jordan?"

"Yeah," he says and turns around to hide what he feels.

I pat his back and even though the bar is full of people calling for my attention to order drinks, that can wait. "I know some people might perceive it as crazy, but I think you made the right decision. We know what is like to need safety and comfort, but you truly understand what kids like Jordan need."

"I really took a shortcut. I expected to meet a nice girl who would make me a father someday, but not that I would raise a teen and have no girlfriend," he laughs.

"Life has thrown odd balls at us, but we are batting them just fine."

"I'm happy that you and Imogen are together."