Chapter 6

Hello pumpkins! I am so sorry for disappearing but I needed some time to adjust to college, but I'm doing better now, so I'm back! I hope all of you are okay and somehow manage to deal with the pandemic. Truth be told, I don't really feel like writing this fanfiction anymore but I promised you guys I'd finish it and I will! I want to thank all of you for actually wanting to read it! Your support and patience means a lot! Don't forget to comment your thoughts and like this chapters! More are on the way! Hope you enjoy and stay safe❤❤

Magnus' P.O.V:

"I'm telling you he's back! He's back and he's after me,he's after all of us! We need to do something before he destroys the downworld for good!", I yell in my best High Warlock voice, trying to make everyone see, trying to get them to understand the danger we're in.

"Warlock Bane, there is nothing in the threatening note you received to suggest that the circle was involved or that Valentine's back ", the new leader of the New York Institute exclaims, inflicting a new wave of disagreements between the downworlders and shadowhunters in the room.

"Silence!", Inquisitor Penhallow yells all of a sudden and everyone stops arguing, the room falling silent at once.

"Mr Bane, do you have any hard evidence to back up your claim except a threatening note and the head of a dead vampire?", she asks, pointing her stare directly at me and I can feel my blood boiling.

"That 'dead vampire' was like a son to me. He also had a name, Raphael Santiago, and he was the leader of the most powerful vampire clan in New York. Only a few weeks ago, Luke Garroway, the Alpha of the strongest werewolf pack was murdered. And now I'm being threatened. Can't you see he's after the leaders of the downworld? Can't you see that he's trying to weaken us, to turn our world upside down, to leave the downworlders powerless, without their leaders to protect them? He's back and he's trying to finish what he started all those years ago. Don't let your stubbornness blind you! Your denial to accept our failure the last time is what's helping him hide now! Don't let him use our differences against us!",I exclaim and every downloader starts clapping in a way to show their support. But the shadowhunters look irritated, if not offended. This can't be good. The clapping noises slowly die down and after a few silent moments the Inquisitor rises from her seat.

" Magnus Bane. You came into our Institute with your people to warn us about the return of the most dangerous Shadowhunter with nothing but stupid theories and events that have no obvious connection. You question the results of our hard work and the loyalty of the shadowhunters to their holy duty. You insult my people and try to unite the downworld against us. So, unless you have actual proof of Valentine's return, this meeting is over. You may leave", the Inquisitor declares, determination evident in her voice, making it clear that our meeting is over.

Of course these perfect shadowhunters wouldn't admit that they're wrong. That they made a mistake. That they didn't have the power to end Valentine and his little pawns one and for all. That if they had accepted our help back then, everything would have been fine, perfect even. But no, they let their pride blind them, just like they did all those years ago. What did I expect? They'll never change.

Penhallow exits the room, which constantly falls back into chaos and I bolt out of the Institute,my fingers dialing Cat's number the second I hear the huge entrance door make a loud noise as it closes behind me.

"How did it go?", is the first thing I hear when she picks up.

"Terribly wrong, just as I predicted. They didn't even deny our help this time, simply because they don't believe there's any danger", I reply with a short recap of the meeting as I walk down New York's streets.

Normally, I'd create a portal and just appear in my loft, but a long stroll will help me calm down... that, and tons of alcohol.

"I warned you Magnus. Nephilim will never change. There was no chance they'd believe you, let alone offer help. We're alone in this Magnus. And we're not strong enough to win. Not this time".

"And what would you have me do Cat? Run? Hide? That'll do no good. They'll find me Cat. Anywhere I go.There's no way out of this", I try to explain to her for the millionth time as I bump into a stranger. I cast a quick apology behind my back and keep making my way down the street.

"Magnus you promised me! You promised me you'd protect yourself! You promised me that you'll be okay! That I won't lose you too...", her voice breaks half way through and my heart aches for her, my eyes start tearing up and I abruptly stop walking and turn into a dark alley for some privacy.

"And I stand by my promise Catarina. I'll protect myself in every way that I can, but if I run, there'll be nothing and no one to stop him. Our people need someone to protect them, to unite them and defend them. And no one is up for the task but me. I can't abandon everyone and ride off into the sunset. These downworlders need me, and I plan to be there for all of them, no matter what".

"Oh Magnus...", I hear her whisper for the other end of the line but the rest of that sentence is covered by an echoing sound. I turn around to be met with a rolling garbage bin.

"Catarina darling, I'll call you back", I say interrupting her and quickly end the call.

I walk slowly towards the bin and I stop it from rolling towards me with my foot before I look around the alley for anything that would betray the presence of someone hiding in the shadows. A quick movement to my left is all I need to be sure. Someone has been following me.