21: Workshop

GULF'S POV

"Remind me again why we have to attend this stupid thing?", Saint whispered.

"If we don't, we'll fail", I told him.

We were sitting in a lecture room for a two-day workshop. One of our teachers required us to go or else she won't let us pass this semester. There's not many people here; mostly just seniors and juniors. The guest speaker has been blabbering for too long. I don't even know what he's saying at this point. Something about how engineering can help build the future, I think.

"I'm going to pass around this box and I want you to discuss with whoever's name you pick about the importance of developing economical solutions using math and science", the speaker waved the box over his head . "Seniors, you'll be picking names of the Juniors. I want you guys to learn from each other, okay? I'll give you around twenty minutes. Go ahead".

The box was being passed around. When it got to me, I picked a folded piece of paper without really thinking much about who I'll partner with. I opened it and couldn't believe the name written on it.

Win Metawin. I didn't even know he was here. I looked around the back of the room and saw him. Of course, he's sitting next to Bright.

"Saint, switch with me", I whispered to my left but I realized he already stood up to go to his partner. I'm left with no choice, then. It's better to just get this over with.

Bright instantly noticed I was approaching them. He looked confused but I think he figured out I wasn't walking towards them for him.

"Win?". He looked up, surprised to see me. He turned to Bright and then back at me. I kind of found it funny how he looks so innocent.

"Uh, okay... Bright, do you wanna switch with me so you can stay with Win?", I asked him.

Bright was about to get the piece of paper from me but Win stopped him. "It's fine. I'll go with Gulf. I think we need to talk", he stood up and motioned for me to lead the way.

We sat in the corner of the room and there's a really big awkward atmosphere around us.

He cleared his throat a few times before actually speaking. "Gulf, um...you probably hate me but I just want to say I'm really sorry. I didn't know he was with you at first, and it was never my intention to come between the two of you. I met him and things just happened, then I started really liking him and I just couldn't let him go. But that's not the point. What I'm trying to say is I am so sorry. I don't really expect you to forgive me or Bright but I just wanted to let you know that. I'm truly sorry from the bottom of my heart and soul. Also, I ne–"

"Win, can you breathe for a second?". He was talking way too fast. I couldn't help but to laugh at him being all frantic.

"Sorry", he tried to catch his breath. "Too much coffee".

"I don't hate you, Win. And, I understand why Bright lost his feelings for me. That day when we met you guys in the cafe, it hit me that I wasn't really a good boyfriend to him for the past two years. I was selfish. If he didn't meet you and if I didn't let him go, he would have been miserable by now. It's good that we broke up. It needed to be that way or else neither of us would be happy. Bright deserves someone that will reciprocate all the love that he gives. I feel sorry that I didn't do that for him but I'm glad he has you now. You seem like a good person, Win. All I wish is for you to make Bright happy and I hope you'll stay happy too".

Everything I just told him was really how I felt. It sucks to be cheated on, but I understand the circumstances. I also don't have it in my heart to keep hating Bright. He's done so much for me.