chapter 3

I kept stealing glance at the man and maybe he notice because he is smiling showing his straight white teeth

"Where should I drop you?" His voice is so deep

"The market..."

"You are going to the market... On foot? That’s a long distance from where I picked you...can this your slender body bear the long walk? Why didn't you take a bus?"

"I... I… wanted to exercise myself... I think I'm adding too much weight…"

"Very funny... That's an obvious lie... weight like this?
He looked at me for some few seconds before taking his eyes back to the road. "I suggest you start adding more flesh to your body...you look so thin..."

"I guess I will stop my fitness program then " I replied in a nonchalant tone

"Yeah you should "

Now why is he looking at me like that i don't want to be a victim of rape.

"Thanks for the ride  "

"hmmm...I saw you talking to yourself... Where you cursing me for splashing mud on you? I'm really sorry for the mud all over you... It wasn't deliberate...so if you said any ill word to me for the mistake... Please unsay it...take back your word... So it won't have any negative effect on me...words are powerful..."

I started laughing uncontrollably, as he stared at me with all seriousness.

  me that was talking to myself while cleaning the mud.

How can he even think that a mare word will affect him, especially words from someone like me, a nobody.

words have no weight, I thought he was learned not to believe in superstition. I wasn't so learned but I think I know better than him when it comes to this... It’s only God...if there's one anyway...that has the ability to say a word and it will stand firm...

"Is not funny...I mean what I just said...words are powerful...and it shouldn't be used anyhow... but I understand your plight...and I know I wronged you...but it wasn't deliberate that was why I said you should take back all you angrily said within yourself against me...".

I stopped laughing as I noticed that he is actually serious.

"I didn't say anything bad after the incident... actually I was just talking to myself...I just said it's because I'm a nobody that was why bad things keep happening to me...but I don't believe that words has any effect... Because a lot has been said to me and I also say things to myself out of anger but none of those things happens...so it's a fake believe, that was why I laughed because I expected more from somebody like you..."

"We are humans with different opinion about life, so I won't counter your belief, but this is the way I was brought up, just have it at the back of your mind that words are powerful, whenever anybody say something negative about you... reject it quickly in your mind and start speaking positive words to yourself... I'm not a preacher....I'm Ekim Roland and I'm an engineer... what's your name and what do you do?"

I could listen to him talking all day. His voice is so smooth and the word he says are just so nice. Did he say something.

"I asked what is your name?"

"Lauretta…my name is Lauretta…I'm an...a...a…student... who is also searching for a job...so that… I can support my family…”

"Lauretta... you are very young... I guess you are not up to twenty years yet...you are supposed to be in school, not searching for job...anyway I don't have any job for you but I may know someone who needs help with his new house...it depends on the kind of job you are looking for..."