25- Gunner (EDITED)

I completely forgot about Shelby's picture on the nightstand next to my bed. And I can only imagine what Aria's first thoughts were when she saw Shelby's photo because I know how I'd feel if I saw a picture of Aria's ex beside her bed.

I'd be just as upset and hurt as Aria is right now. But I also have an explanation for it, and I better inform her of my reasoning before losing her, too.

"The truth is... Shelby's picture is still next to the bed because I talk to her nearly every night. It's something I've done since the day she died." I paused, cupped the sides of her face, and lowered my face to hers, wanting to look directly into her eyes for what I wanted to tell her next. "And, this past month, all I've talked to her about was you... telling her how much I have fallen for you and how I'll finally be letting her go."

Her eyes softened, and then she choked as she spoke. "You have?"

"Yes, Aria. When I told you I loved you, I meant it. I will not say something I don't mean. I will always have a love for her. That will never fade. But I've moved on... with you."

"But her things are still here."

I sighed. "I know. As I said, I haven't had time to get rid of Shelby's belongings. Look at where and who I've spent all my time with this past month. Between spending my time with you and trying to find justice, I've been a little busy."

She sighed and looked away from me and over towards the wall. I followed her eyes. I knew she was looking at Shelby and understood where Aria was coming from and what she was thinking. And what I don't want is Aria feeling like she's second in my life.

"What are you thinking right now?"

"I'm thinking you're afraid to let her go," she said quickly.

"I'm not afraid."

"You are, Gunner. You're more afraid than what you're letting on."

"Aria, look at me," I begged.

"I can't."

I curled my finger underneath her chin and turned her towards me. "Please, listen to what I have to say. I'm not afraid to let her go. What I'm afraid of is losing you. So if it will make you feel any better, I'll let you do the honor of removing her clothes from my closet and anything else that is hers tonight."

Her gorgeous blue eyes brightened like a clear blue sky, and as much as she was trying to hide a smile, I still noticed how the corners of her lips perked up with happiness. "You would do that for me?"

I smiled, then said, "Yes," to assure her I would do anything. "I'm willing to do whatever it takes for you to feel comfortable while being with me. I don't want you thinking the way you are now-thinking I can't move on from Shelby and how you're now feeling that you're having an affair with a married man. You're not second at all, Aria. You're first in my life, and I don't want anything coming in between us. Not anyone, and definitely not her."

Her eyes studied mine. "If I help remove her things, where will you put them?"

"I have plenty of boxes down at the bar we can use. And when you've finished packing her things, I'll bring those boxes down to the storage room. And then come tomorrow, I'll bring them to a homeless shelter."

I think that made her happy because her eyes glistened, and another smile formed on her face-a relieved yet thrilled one.

"Okay... now, can I have my drink back?"

I reached for her glass, then picked it up and handed it to her, but I wouldn't let her take it from my hand until I got a kiss. So, I pulled the glass away from her hand as she tried taking it from me.