15- Gunner (EDITED)

Waking up to Aria, still in my arms, with one of her arms tightly wrapped over me, brought back memories from when Shelby used to do the same. I know I shouldn't be thinking this way with Aria in my arms, but this makes me miss her so much more.

I've got to figure out how to get Shelby off my mind because I know I'll lose the girl I've grown fond of if I don't. The beautiful woman who's lying in my arms, snuggling tightly against me.

I also have to do everything I can to find the Tormentor before repeating what happened six years ago. And until then, I must do everything I can to protect the girl who's captured my heart.

My eyes lowered and stared at her while gently caressing her smooth, silky skin. We may have only known each other for a short time, but being with her really brings out my inner self. I have trained hard for the last six years, fought my way into finding the truth, and searched for their killer or killers, all while losing or forgetting who I was. She got me back to knowing who I am and why I'm still here.

I'm not afraid to admit this if anyone were to ask, but I have realized Aria's the best thing that's happened to me.

The more I think about having to go to Brooklyn, New York, the more I want to ask Aria about coming with me. I need her there, but I want her there most of all. If I continue having her with me at my fights and watching, I firmly believe she'll get better being around what I do with her, even learning a few moves. She said she was doing well at the last fight until the sword came out, and I understand what she was thinking and why she thought I would kill BK the Tiger. I want to kill him because I believe he took part in my father's and Shelby's slaying, but that's my own belief, and it still hasn't been proven. However, if I find out he was involved, he can kiss goodbye his ugly, Neanderthal-looking ass.

Come tomorrow; I think I'll be visiting him at the hospital to see what he has to say. Hoping he'll admit to what he knows.

I lowered my lips to Aria's forehead when she began to stir, whispering, "Good morning."

I've wanted to wake her and give her what I feel I cheated her with earlier, but she looked so peaceful and beautiful sleeping. I just couldn't find myself doing it. She also needs all her rest before the fun begins.

Her eyes remained closed, so I laid still, caressing her beautiful skin while thinking about what I could do to keep protecting her, especially after what BK said the night of the fight before I took him out.

'That pretty new girl of yours will never be yours. Just like Shelby,' he said, then laughed. 'She will soon find herself next to your old man and fiancée.'

The fuck she will be.

"Gunner, are you okay?"

I looked down. "I'm fine; why?"

"You keep flinching, and the last flinch, you squeezed me really tight. What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing," I lied.

She furrowed her brows and pushed herself up. "It can't be anything if you were flinching the way you were... talk to me."

I shook my head.

I can't tell her what he said. I don't need her to be scared and feel like I've got her in danger. But I didn't want to lie to her, either, so I told her somewhat the truth. "I was just thinking about what someone had said to me once. That's all." I pulled her back into my arms, then rested my chin on her head. "Promise me, if I'm not with you and you ever feel you're in danger, you'll immediately call me."

"I promise."

"And if you don't want that person to know who you're calling, that's another time I want you to say the safeword. After you say it, hang up right away. I'll find you."