Chapter 19

In the midst of the storm, we often lose our goal or destination, we often focus on running away from the storm instead of overcoming it. In life, we only get one chance to live, one chance to do things and there are rarely any do-overs.

Sasha stared at the tests in disbelief, all showing positive, she's pregnant. Instantly she touched her belly, not sure to feel happy or sad, and in another instant she felt guilty, she neglected her body, when she had another life in her. She started crying, she felt guilty and she didn't know what to do.

She decided to pick herself off the toilet, change and go to the nearest OBGYN, she needed to know if her baby was fine.

***

Sasha sat on the hospital bed, nervous, cold and she felt extremely lonely.

"Hi, I'm Dr Houghton, I'll be your gynae" a woman in her mid 40's greeted her.

"I'm Sasha Carter"

"So what are you in here for today?"

Sasha took out all her pregnancy tests and gave it to the doctor. The Dr smiled and asked, "when was your last period?"

"A little over 3 months ago, I've been busy and I haven't noticed that I've skipped my period" Sasha explained, while the Dr motioned Sasha to lie down.

"Do you experience any morning sickness, nausea, cravings or anything different?" the Dr asked as she squirted the gel on Sasha's belly.

"I haven't been feeling well, but I just feel tired, that could be a cause of my stress and workload as well" the Dr nodded in agreement, and placed the ultrasound machine on her belly.

Sasha staring at the screen, unsure of what she is seeing, "Congratulations Ms Carter, you are pregnant" the Dr smiled widely, eyes never leaving the monitor, "you're having twins" Sasha eyes widened.

"Now let's hear their heartbeat"

Thump thump thump

Thump thump thump

Thump thump thump

Thump thump thump

"Your babies have a strong heartbeat Ms Carter, you are about 12 weeks pregnant, and you are soon entering your second trimester" the Dr wiped off the gel and covered Sasha's belly,

"We'll take some blood samples to do some standard testing, do you have any questions Ms Carter?" Sasha shook her head.

"If there's anything, please do contact me at my cell" passing Sasha her name card.

***

Later in the evening, Sasha threw on a loose top and jeans, and she headed to Pablo's deciding to do some work beforehand and she needed to tell Pablo. She was extremely nervous to see Mateo, but she was excited at the fact she was going to be a mother soon. She hadn't decided if she should tell Mateo, he might not want the babies, and she didn't know how she would take it if he rejected his babies.

"Hi tio" she hugged Pablo, over the course of a few months, she has grown to see Pablo as family, and he loved her like a daughter.

"Samuel is at the back" Pablo gestured.

"Actually, I need to speak with you. I need your advice on something", Pablo looked slightly concerned, but kept his calm and sat down with Sasha.

"Tio, I'm pregnant" Pablo excitedly hugged her laughing.

"Congratulations!" he smiled, "Is it Samuel's?"

"Oh tio, you know Samuel and I are just friends" she playfully slapped his arms.

"Well, I'm happy for you either way"

"Tio, it's Mateo's" she sighed, "I've not been with anyone else, and Raphael is infertile. I don't know if I should tell him"

"He has a right to know Sasha, what he decides after that will be on him, but he deserves to know" Pablo explained. "But I don't think I will be able to survive it if he rejects our babies"

"Babies, as in plural and not singular?" Pablo questioned, and Sasha smiled nodding as she touched her belly.

"Double joy! Dios mio! We need to celebrate this!" Pablo exclaimed. "If he rejects your babies at least you know you did your part, and no matter what we can help with the babies, Samuel can be a good father, and we will always pick you up" he assured her.

***

By 7pm, Sasha saw mami and Ted walking in the restaurant, she smiled as she saw them. She greeted Ted first by giving him a quick hug then hugging mami, forgetting about her belly. The moment mami hugged her, mami felt the small bump and she gasped. They pulled away, mami wanting to say something but Sasha shook her head and squeezed mami's hand as a warning.

Sasha letting go of Mami's hand as soon as she saw Emily, she quickly hugged Emily and pulled away before Emily could realize. They catched up a little, then Clay and Monica showed up, Monica was heavily pregnant by now.

When Pedro arrived, Sasha ran and hugged him, as if they haven't seen each other in years, but they were only apart for 3 weeks. During the past 3 months, Pedro never mentioned what he read, not once he hinted, but he was always there for her no matter what, they grew closer than ever. He instantly felt her small bump, and whispered "Are you pregnant?" she nodded, with tears threatening to escape. He hugged her tighter, knowing that she was in a dilemma.

Sasha pulled Pedro, leading him to the bar, she needed his comfort away from others.

"I don't know what to do Ped, I don't know how to feel"

"When did you find out?" he questioned

"This morning" her tears escaped, unable to control them.

"How far along are you?"

"12 weeks"

"Ayy mija, you're pregnant?" Sasha and Pedro's head turned to see Mami listening in to their conversation. Sasha panicked but she touched her belly and calmed down, knowing Mami would find out eventually.

Sasha nodded, wiping her tears away. Mami engulfed her in a hug.

"Why are you crying Sasha? Your baby is a blessing from God" mami comforted, "Is he the father?" mami looked at Pedro, and Pedro shook his head.

"No Ma, Pedro and I have never, will never, we are like siblings" she smiled at Pedro, wiping away her tears.

"Why are you crying mija? Is the father not in the picture?" mami questioned while caressing Sasha's back.

"It's okay mami, I'll be okay. We'll talk about this later, now let's have a seat, I got an announcement to make" she forced a smile.

They went back to their table, Pedro sitting next to her, arm around her rubbing circles on her shoulder trying to provide some form of comfort, while Mami sat on the other seat beside her, when their food arrived, Mateo walked in with a beautiful woman next to him, Sasha recognised that woman from the bar, Bianca. Sasha's hand immediately squeezed Pedro's thigh, her entire body went tense. Mateo immediately locked eyes with Sasha, but just as quick as their eyes clicked he looked away.

Mami noticed, she reached over to touch Sasha's free hand, then it clicked for mami.

"It's Mateo's, isn't it?" mami whispered.