Chapter 12.3

"Tonight we have a victory to celebrate," the Arthur says. "Let's enjoy it and give thanks to the Fae!"

Thomas watches the knights and soldiers celebrating around the scattered fires, laughing and drinking as the night settles in around them. He looks for the Huntsman but doesn't see him among the revelers. There is a smaller fire, glowing behind the wagon.

Thomas starts toward it when the Archer steps up. "Come with me." She stalks away from the celebration. Thomas follows after her down a hill that hides them from the glow of the fires. "So what was that earlier?"

"What do you mean?" Thomas asks.

"While we were fighting those mythics, you kept getting in my way. Every time I turned around you were there."

"I was playing my role. I am a knight and I have to keep you safe. It's part of the code."

"Your role? I am the Pine Knight and I don't need your protection any more than any of the other knights out there."

"You've been acting as a boy for how long? A few years?"

"What does that have to do with anything?" the Archer says.

"Why did you decide to play that role?"

"I wanted to be a field agent, and my parents wouldn't let me. They wanted me to pick something safer, so I had to hide myself."

"That's it? That is the stupid reason you decided to hide yourself as a boy?"

"The tales create the magic of this world and I wanted to be a Storyteller to help protect that. That is not a stupid reason!"

"If you're a girl then you should play that role. It's too dangerous out here for you."

"I know how to do this job. I am trained for it, and I am not going to fracture. So why do you think I'm suddenly different just because you found out I'm female?"

Tabitha freezes. Those are the same words she had shouted at the Huntsman. She's right. She doesn't need protection. The Archer knows her role and she plays it well.

"You're ...a girl?" a voice says from behind Tabitha.

The Swift is standing at the top of the hill. For a moment Tabitha thinks he's looking at her, but his eyes are on the Archer.

The Archer steps forward. "I ...Crimson ...I wanted to tell you. I tried so many times, I just ..."

"Lied to me. You just lied to me all this time." The Swift's voice is sharp.

"I didn't want to lie." The Archer walks toward him, reaching out. "I had to play this role so I could become a Storyteller."

The Swift pulls away from her as if burned. "Don't you dare touch me, you ...I never want to see you again."

Tabitha touches the hilt of her sword. I am a prince. He reminds himself of his role. "Don't speak to her like that." Thomas steps forward.

The Swift turns to Thomas. "And you ...how long have you known?"

"Please, just listen to me." There are tears running down the Archer's face now. "Vidar, I just wanted ..."

His gaze turns back to the Archer with a snap. "Don't you ever use my name again." He raises his hand. Thomas jumps forward, grabbing the Swift's hand before it can swing. The Archer stumbles back, shock on her face.

"Let go of me, White," the Swift says.

"Stop," Thomas says. "We are all friends here."

"Not anymore." The Swift yanks his hand away.