Chapter 4.5

The procession checks all of the women of the proper age in all the houses in the city. Goldfield continues to play the perfect Prince Charming, with Tabitha nearby to give encouragement when needed. Wildrose brings the glass slipper and dutifully tries it on every girl, sadly shaking his head when it doesn't fit.

As they approach the last house, Tabitha finds herself sighing in relief. It has been an exhausting day of rude parents and determined ladies.

~You know, we've been through the entire city. There can only be so many sizes and shapes of feet. How is it that the slipper didn't even come close to fitting any of them?~ Tabitha walks after Goldfield, her whole body sore from getting on and off the Gelding at every house.

~The Law of the Lost Slipper,~ Wildrose replies. ~The slipper will only fit the Cinderella. How else would the tale work?~

The Lieutenant moves quickly to the door at this last house, a large manor, and draws himself up proudly as he knocks solidly on the door. The door opens a moment later to show a large, burly servant whose eyes widen in surprise.

"The Prince of Goldfield is here to see the young ladies of the household," the Lieutenant says smugly.

"Yes. Please follow me." The burly servant escorts them into the manor's parlor. Three women wait there, a mother and her two daughters. Another servant, just as large as the first, stands in the back of the room.

"Oh, Your Highness." The older woman comes forward immediately and curtsies. Tabitha tenses at her sudden approach. "I'm so glad you could come."

"Thank you for having me." Goldfield smiles.

"I am the Lady of Oakwood and these are my daughters."

"Are these the only young ladies in the house?" the Lieutenant asks.

"Yes, we've had a small staff since my husband passed," The Lady of Oakwood admits.

The Lieutenant shifts uncomfortably as Wildrose walks forward and asks the two young ladies to sit. Wildrose offers the slipper to the younger daughter. She smiles shyly as she tries to fit her foot in the slipper, but her foot is too large. Wildrose holds out the slipper for the elder daughter and it fits perfectly.

Tabitha frowns at the unexpected result, but Goldfield steps forward with a beaming smile. "My Lady, I am so happy I was able to find you."

The elder daughter stands with a smile, holding out her hand. "I am too, my Prince."

"That is not the Mysterious Lady I danced with," Tabitha says.

"Perhaps you just don't remember properly." Goldfield takes the offered hand and kisses the back of it gently. "The slipper fits so she must be the Mysterious Lady."

"I am." The elder daughter agrees.

Tabitha glances at Wildrose, who is straightening from his crouch. He doesn't look concerned. His eyes rest on the slipper, still on the elder daughter's foot.

A sharp crack rents the air and the elder daughter screams. She reaches down and yanks off the glass slipper before throwing it across the room. The Huntsman snatches it out of the air with surprising speed, but everyone's attention is still on the elder daughter, who has collapsed on the couch.

"What happened, my Lady?" Goldfield hovers, concern apparent on his face.

"The slipper shrunk on my foot. It crushed my toes," Tears run down the elder daughter's face. "I don't think I can walk."

"The slipper appears as it was before," Wildrose accepts it back from the Huntsman and hands it to Goldfield.

"It does appear to be the same. I don't see how it could have shrunk." He moves to the elder daughter, setting the slipper beside her foot. The foot is clearly too big.