Chapter 6.6

"I barely left you alone. What happened?" Wildrose asks when he finds her a short time later.

Tabitha finishes off her drink. "It was nothing." She must have done or said something alluring without realizing it. Ladies could flirt with a simple wink or a clever phrase. She had seen it done before. If she had known how to act properly like a lady then she wouldn't have tempted him accidentally.

"You apparently punched our host, so I doubt it was nothing."

She wonders if she is just so far from being a lady that not even the Laws can make it work. "I should've acted more like a Snow White."

Wildrose sighs, looking unconvinced. "Come on, there's an event happening I think you might enjoy."

Tabitha follows Wildrose sullenly out of the back of the house and down a path. Lanterns line the path, hanging free in the air.

"No wonder the magic levels here are so high," Wildrose mutters.

Tabitha looks up. A large building dominates the end of the path, made of the same dark brick as the house. Its roof is a stained glass dome patterned like the sun and lighted from within. A steady stream of guests are entering through open doors.

"Would you like a betting card?" a servant asks as they enter.

"Yes, please." Tabitha takes the card while her eyes look over the collection of seats surrounding a sandy arena. She wonders what kind of demonstration they will see. The guardsmen in Redstone had tournaments every so often to encourage friendly rivalry and boost their skills.

The Lady of Bluedell frowns slightly when she sees Tabitha, but covers it quickly with a greeting. "Welcome. I hope you will enjoy the show."

"Thank you. I'm sure we will." Wildrose bows.

"My dear, come here," the Bluebeard says.

"I wanted to finish receiving all the guests," the Lady of Bluedell says.

"Natalie, come here now." Tabitha feels the magic of the true name press against the air.

"Yes, my dear." The Lady of Bluedell bows her head and walks over to join the Bluebeard. He puts an arm around her and guides her to a seat.

Tabitha looks after them for a moment before she and Wildrose take their own seats. The rest of the guests finish settling in, chatting excitedly as a door opens on the far side of the arena. Five men walk out, all wearing the same gray and black uniform, but each has on a different colored sash. The man in the red sash walks a few steps farther forward than the rest and salutes the Bluebeard.

The Bluebeard stands and turns to address his guests in the crowd. "Honored guests and friends. I am so happy that you could be here. My wife and I are delighted to share our happiness with you. In honor of this great occasion I have prepared some entertainment for you. Please welcome the finest of our Wall Guard."

The crowd claps as the guardsmen in the arena bow.

"Feel free to use the card you were issued on your entrance to bet on your favorite guardsman," the Bluebeard says. He turns back to the arena. "Are your men ready, Captain?" The Captain raises his spear in salute. "Very good. Begin."

The Captain turns toward the left side of the arena where a gate is set into the wall. He raises his spear again and the gate clanks to the ground, revealing a dark space beyond.

There is a flash of red and a bird, larger than any Tabitha had ever seen before, bursts from the darkness. It flies straight up to the dome overhead and crashes into the glass, which Tabitha is sure will shatter. The dome holds firm as the mythic catches itself in the air before flying up to another point where the same collision occurs.