Chapter one

Chapter One

"You need to change this year," I hear my mother say.

I sighed and leaned my head against the car window. I didn't want to be in here, I didn't want to be anywhere. I dug my teeth into my lip, numbing it from the pain.

"We need the old you back."

"I can't have you moping around all the time," my mother's voice cracks a bit.

I rolled my eyes. Is that what she thinks I'm doing? Moping around? Clearly she doesn't know what I've been through.

I've been through a lot. My life is hell, let me tell you that.

"You're a mess, Alison," my mother begins crying.

After about 40 minutes of hearing my mom complain about me in the car, we arrived at the airport.

I really don't want to go.

"I think if you spend some time in Australia, with your Aunt Marie, you will change," my mother smiles. She has hope in me. She's the only one that has hope in me. She's clearly wasting her time because I don't even have hope, therefore I'm not going to change.

"I guess this is goodbye," My mother chokes up. I pull her in for a hug and kiss her on the cheek. I pick up my bags and walk away, without looking back.

~

After 19 hours of sleeping and watching movies on the plane, I landed in Australia. I made my way through the airport to find my Aunt. I scanned the whole place and saw a lady waving at me. I sighed and walked over to her.

"Alison! Oh, it's so good to see you," my Aunt pulls me in for a hug. I just stood there awkwardly.

"Wow, you have gotten so much older and beautiful, since I last saw you,"

she smiled.

I gave my suitcase to my Aunt and walked past her. I looked around to find a Starbucks, but I didn't see one. I gave up and got into my Aunt's car.

"You don't talk much Alison," my Aunt frowned.

"There's no point in talking if it doesn't make you feel better," I replied.

"Actually, it does. Letting your problems out to others, can lift a whole weight off your chest," my Aunt argued.

I rolled my eyes. "Well it certainly doesn't bring them back," I snapped.

My Aunt sighed. "Look I know you lost them, but they're in a better place," she said in a soft tone.

That's complete bullshit. First of all, she does not know what happened that night and second of all, telling me that 'they're in a better place' does not make me feel better.

I ignored my Aunt and sat in silence for rest of the car ride home.

My Aunt finally parked the car outside of a house with a light blue garage. I got out and took a look around my neighbourhood.

"You coming?" I hear my Aunt call out. I nodded and jogged inside.

I looked around the house. It was nice and there were a lot of paintings on the wall. It looked like a typical house, nothing too cool. I honestly thought the houses in Australia would be completely different.

I heard really loud barking and saw two white lab puppies running towards me. One jumped on me and one licked my foot.

"This is Daisy and Lily," she said. I pat both of them on the head and made my way to my room. The walls were white and plain. I noticed a bed against the wall and a dresser across from it. My room was boring and empty looking, but I didn't care.

"We can go buy some furniture and decorations to-" I closed the door on my Aunt and locked it. I hear her sigh and walk away.

I changed into black high-waisted jeans and a maroon lace croptop. I decided to go for a short walk to get some fresh air.

"Where are you going?" I hear my Aunt ask.

"Out,"

She nodded in agreement, so I grabbed my maroon heels and ran out the door.

I ended up staying at this ghetto park, which totally wasn't my style, but I sat on top of the slide and sat with my knees hugged to my chest. I watched the cars and the people pass by. I like being alone. I like the silence. Hearing a lot of noise usually gives me anxiety.

I was drifting off to sleep until I heard someone.

"Hiii!" I turn around and see a boy who looks my age.

He skin is a bit darker than mine and he has an asian eye shape. He's wearing super skinny black jeans that is ripped by the knee and a grey plaid flannel. He's really cute and his style is so punk-like but he acts like an overly excited nine year old and I just can't work with that.

He sat right beside me which annoyed me, so I lifted my eyebrows at him. His brown eyes connected with my blue ones.

"I've never seen you before, so i'm assuming that you're Marie's niece, Alison right?" He cheekily smiled.

I rolled my eyes.

I hate people like him. They're so loud, happy and annoying.

"You are Alison, right?" he asked me.

I slowly nodded and started to walk away. I walked a bit faster just to get away from him.

"By the way, I'm Calum," he yelled. I turned around and saw him running towards me. I sighed and started walking at a normal pace.

I gave him a sarcastic smile to let him know that I didn't care.

"I live beside you and were in the same grade," he giggled.

Does this boy not get the message that I don't want to talk to him?

I mean he literally followed me home and he did not stop talking once.

I finally saw my house up ahead and I sighed in relief. I made my way up the steps and thought Calum was gone but when I turned around and he was right behind me. I jumped a bit because I didn't expect him to be there and it scared me a bit.

"Well, see you at sch-" I slammed the door in Calum's face.

My Aunt came to the door and greeted me with a hug. I pulled away and went to my room.

I heard a knock on the door and opened it up.

"You know, you better start being more nice towards others. School is going to be hell if you don't make any friends," she lifted an eyebrow.

I nodded and closed the door.

School IS going to be hell.