Chapter 1: The Wayward Son

Start from the beginning

Leaving his room, she closed the door behind her. Walking back to her room, she finished packing her things and said her final farewells to her husband. Returning to her domain on Olympus, her brother was there waiting patiently for her return.

"I was beginning to wonder when you'd return, dear sister," he began.

"What do want brother?" she asked annoyed.

"I just simply want to know where you've been for the past five years," he admitted. "You occasionally stop by for the occasional council meeting, but then you go back to the earth as fast as you're able to, why?" he asked her.

"That's none of your business," she argued.

"Everything under the sun, is my business, dear sister," he remarked. "Could it be that for the past five years, you've been a wife to your husband and a mother to your son?" he inquired with a sly grin only to find his sister's dagger pressed against his throat.

"Choose your next words carefully brother, or I'll ensure you never write, sing, or reproduce ever again," she warned him.

"What's his name?" he asked.

"Who's?" she asked.

"Your son's of course. What's his name?" he asked.

"His name is Adrian. Adrian Cross," she answered sheathing her dagger.

"Adrian, a good name," he admitted. "Fret not dear sister I won't tell anyone," he promised her.

"How can I trust you?" she asked.

"I've known about your little love affair for the past six years now, and no one but me, myself, and I, know about it," he reminded her. "But if it makes you feel any better, I swear upon the River Styx to not tell another living soul about your love affair," he swore.

"...Thank you," she said gratefully. "Now can you please leave?" she requested.

"Of course," he said before leaving her domain.

As the years went by, Artemis would observe from a distance as Adrian grew older and her husband began to teach him archery and hand to hand combat. Eventually, Adrian's father was redeployed to the Middle East, but during his tour, he was killed by an enemy sniper leaving Adrian alone. Against every motherly instinct, she kept her distance but soon regretted it. She watched as Adrian became bitter and spiteful towards everyone around him. It would only grow worse when her enemies found her son, forcing him to flee, but to her relief, Apollo continuously ushered Adrian closer and closer to Camp Half-Blood until Adrian stood before the very entrance to the camp.

"The fuck is this place?" Adrian questioned staring up at the archway and to his astonishment, the words were rearranged in English. "Camp Half-Blood. The fuck is a half-blood?" he asked aloud.

"A half-blood is just another term for a demigod young Adrian," A centaur approached him. "And if at all possible, please refrain from swearing," he requested.

"Back off!" Adrian demanded, pulling his father's pistol on the centaur.

Backing away with his hands raised, Adrian kept his sights poised on the centaur.

"Who are you, why am I here?" Adrian asked.

"My name is Chiron, Trainer of Heroes. As for why you are here, Camp Half-Blood is one of the few sanctuaries in America for demigods like yourself. There is no need to be afraid Adrian, none here shall hurt you," he assured him.

"I find that unlikely," Adrian disputed.

"Come, you've been through much, I'm sure, and are no doubt tired and hungry, yes?" Chiron asked. "It's almost lunchtime, so if you wish you can have something to eat, and if you don't think you're better off here than out in the human world, I'll let you leave," he offered.