Chapter 1: The Wayward Son

"When the world reaches its twilight, and all hope fades;
Through Silver Flame, and the chanting of a thousand voices, hope shall be rekindled;
The Wayward Wolf shall again find his Pack;
And the Great Betrayer shall at least be brought to justice, by the Son who was never born."

~~~

As Artemis packed her things in a hurry, her husband came up beside her, and gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You don't need to leave, Artemis," he said with a pleading look in his eyes

"You don't need to leave, Artemis," he said with a pleading look in his eyes. "Whatever it is you fear, we will face it together," he swore.

"What would come next, is beyond you. There are beings far more powerful than us gods, and if they find us, we would all perish," she explained grimly. "I would love nothing more than to stay with you and Adrian, but I can't," she continued as tears fell from her eyes.

"At least say goodbye to Adrian, one last time," he requested, his words filled with grief.

Wiping her tears away, she softly nodded. Walking into her son's room, he was fast asleep. Going to his side, she knelt down and placed a kiss on his small head. Stirring from his slumber, he looked at her tiredly as he sat up in bed.

"Mommy?" he asked rubbing his tired eyes.

"I have to leave, Adrian," Artemis told him.

"Why?" he asked.

"To protect you and your father," she explained.

"Will we see you again?" he asked.

As she pondered that very question, she softly nodded her head much to her son's glee.

"Yes, we will see each other again," she promised him. "Now go back to sleep," she said as she tucked her son back into bed.

"I love you, mommy," Adrian said tiredly as he began to drift off back to sleep.

"I love you too, my sweet little Moon-Beam," she smiled, softly caressing his cheek.

Standing back up, once Adrian had gone back to sleep, she placed a necklace around his neck that would hide his scent from monsters, as he grew older.