Chapter 33

“Fury?” I say as I knock on the door, trying to restrain my fury until I know he isn’t in a meeting. 

“Can it wait?” He says from inside, he sounds exhausted. I guess turning the ship inside out for the staff that I saw less than an hour ago is a lot of work. 

“Sorry, but not unless you’re cool with me drowning a few people,” I tell him, also exhausted. 

“Come in.” He sighs. I open the door and step in, quietly locking it behind me. I toss the uniform onto his paper-covered desk. 

“I need at least one person removed from my room.” I demand. I’m not leaving this room until he’s gone. Fury groans. 

“Again?” He whines, flipping the uniform around looking for the label. 

“Again?” I ask, as he find the name. 

“Agent Jackson,” He says, rubbing his face. “This guy is a live-in. You’re the fourth person to find him. Let me guess; you come to pick up after everyone, and he stumbles out of your room, drunk, rude, and naked?” 

My mouth opens, but no words come out. 

“Y-yeah? That’s about right,” I say, somewhat relieved that at least he knows I’m telling the truth. Suddenly he smiles, looking tired but ready for cause a problem. It reminds me of my Loki. 

“Tell you what, Miss Dipity,” He says, conspiring. “Go find a team lead from ship control and ask them for his room number. You are hereby authorized to inform him of his termination and remove him from the ship by any means necessary. And I mean any,” 

I smirk and leave Fury to his nap. This will be fun. 

“Agent Jackson!” I shout, pounding on the door. After a long minute it creaks open to show Jackson, this time in a different pair of underwear. 

“You are hereby relieved of duty!” I cheerfully inform him, to which he responds with many, many profanities, most directed at me, and the rest directed at Fury. “You can take yourself off ship, or I can take you off the ship.” I tell him, my muscles tensed for the inevitable resistance. 

He stares at me a long moment, before responding. 

“No,” He says, and starts to slam the door. I shove my bare foot in. It pinches, but this’ll be worth it. 

I pull over the giant water bubble I collected from a bathroom and scoop him into it. I keep the water rotating so he always stays on top, and I make a grand show of it as I haul him on deck. I head over to the nearest departing pilot, one who is going home, most likely for maternity leave based on her large stomach. 

I dump a sputtering Jackson in the ship and slam the doors behind him. The plane takes off, and I am now free of one more obnoxious boy. 

Now that that’s taken care of, I head back to my room, intending to finish cleaning and then go swimming. To my pleasant surprise, it’s already clean when I get back, and Nat is sitting on my counter, eating cereal. 

“Hey!” I cry, running over to hug her. She sticks one arm holding the cereal far away from both of us and hugs me back before sliding down. 

“Heard you dumped Jackson on a jet?” She asks me, snickering. I nod, and she rolls her eyes. “That was honestly too nice of you, I would have kicked that dirtbag into the ocean…” She says, imagining her perfect day. 

I snicker at the image of Nat kicking another agent off deck.

“Thanks for cleaning up, these guys are slobs!” I tell her, grabbing a bowl of cereal for myself. As I jump onto the counter across from her, my door bursts open. 

“Serendipity!” Loki shouts, charging down the hall without seeing me. Concerned, I get down and head in that direction. Nat, also concerned, holds out one of her guns to me. I shake my head and head for the hall. As I get to the entrance, Loki comes back out, and wraps a hand around my throat, slamming me into the wall. 

“Where is it?!” He shouts, angrier than I’ve ever seen him. His grip on my throat momentarily loosens, letting me respond.

“Where’s what??” I whimper, too scared to do anything. 

“The staff, I know you took it, you dirty little thief!” He shouts in my face. His grip on my throat is no doubt going to bruise. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Nat sneaking up. I wave her away, trying to tell her that even though this looks bad, it’s fine. She stops, but doesn’t put her gun down. 

“It’s in the closet Loki, I swear!” I say, feeling my head get lighter. He lets go, and my knees crumple, I cough, trying to breathe as he storms off in search of the staff. 

Nat rushes up, rubbing my back as I pant, trying to get oxygen flowing again. 

“What the hell was that?” She asks, her voice low and lethal. I shake my head, trying to reassure her. 

“It’s nothing, I’m fine. Last time was worse, but I’m good, see!” I babble, trying to convince her it’s fine. 

“Last time?” She shouts, more concerned. I frown, that does sound bad. 

“You mean this isn’t the first time, Serendipity?” She asks me, going into full professional mode. I nod, I can’t lie now. 

“But this wasn’t bad at all, I bet I won’t even bruise!” I say, praying to the ocean that she won’t mention this to anyone. She looks me up and down, starting to back off a bit. 

Loki’s door slams shut outside. Probably can’t sleep with him tonight. I walk over to the door, gently closing it in the wake of Loki’s destruction. 

“Could I bunk with you again for a bit?” I ask her, trying not to give away how much I’m scared this time. It just keeps escalating. 

“You think I’m gonna give you another option?” She asks me, turning back into a friend. “You are keeping this though,” Nat says, passing me one of her guns. Her favorite guns. 

My eyes widen, and I try to give it back. 

“Nat, I can’t keep this!” I tell her, but she wraps my hand around it. 

“You know how to use it. If he does that again, you shoot him, you understand?” She orders, sounding like a mother. I reluctantly nod, sliding it into the waistband of my shorts. 

“Let’s grab your stuff.” She says, heading to my room.