Chapter 35

The long walk from Loki’s room to the high-clearance wing only made me more determined to do this. I can’t live with this Loki. Both in the emotional and physical sense; because at the rate this is going, he’ll… I don’t want to say it…

He’ll kill me before he’ll come back. 

Shaking the thought out of my head, I find the door I need. I inhale deeply, trying to calm myself, and knock carefully on the door. I listen for a minute, and don’t hear anything. I knock again, louder this time. Pressing my ear on the door, I hear heavy steps coming towards the door. I back up and run my hand through my hair, trying to look at least kind of presentable. 

The door swings open to reveal a man who looks more disheveled than I ever could. His hair is tangled, he looks as if he’s been drooling, and, thank the tides, he managed to at least have underwear on this time. Usually you aren’t so lucky as to see him with any clothes on this late at night.

“Thor,” I say, addressing this half-asleep corpse of a human. “I need your help,” I tell him, trying to keep from crying again. I stare at him, his face expressionless. His eyes slowly close again. Maybe I should have waited until the morning. 

“Thor?” I say, hoping he’ll wake up enough to at the very least go back to bed.

To my relief, his eyes fly open, and he seems much more awake now. 

“Ah, of course, little sister!” He says in a normal voice, which for Thor, is the quietest whisper you could ever imagine. He pulls the door the rest of the way open and invites me in. I wait until the door clicks shut before I start trying to explain everything. 

“It’s about Loki.” I begin, my brow knit together. This may be a horrible idea, but he’s the one I can trust the most right now. Thor is instantly awake, and just as concerned as I am. 

“What is it, is he alright?” He asks me. 

“Depends on your definition of alright. When was the last time you spoke to him?” I ask Thor. This is as good a place to start as any. 

“I saw him last week, in the hall of mess?” 

“Did he seem… off at all?” 

“Now that you mention it… he did seem more irritable than usual.” Thor says, and I scoff. 

“You’ve barely scratched the surface. He…” I clear my throat. This is my last chance to back out. if I stop now, I can leave, and no one has to know. 

No. Something is wrong with Loki, and I want to help him, and try to find my Loki once more. 

“He slaps me a lot now. Sometimes he only chokes me, but slapping is his favorite. He yells at me, and doesn’t do anything anymore.” Thor’s mouth drops open, shocked, and I can see him itching to march off to Loki and give him a good talking to. Thor’s always been on my side with Loki. 

“He doesn’t read, or sleep, or leave his room except for food a couple times a week, he’s never happy anymore, and I’m trapped, Thor. I’m trapped. I can’t do anything without making everything so much worse!” I tell him, pouring my soul out. I hope I don’t regret this.                    

“What do you mean, ‘trapped?’” Thor asks me. “What did you do, little sister?” His voice drops an octave, growing more concerned by the second. 

“Uh… well, Loki may have, um, done something. Something big.” I say. This is the big spill. 

“He took the staff.” I blurt all at once. Thor’s eyes fly open, and I’m sure if his jaw could drop any more, it would. Within a moment, mjolnir flies into his hand and he’s marching towards Loki’s room, clad in just his underwear. I scurry after him, not sure if I should stop him or thank him. 

Fortunately for me, Thor walks fast enough that I don’t get to decide before we get there. He pounds his fist on Loki’s door, and I wince with every thud.

“Would it be acceptable to you if I watched how he reacts to you, Serendipity?” Thor asks gently. The mood swap throws me. 

“Oh, uh, yyeah, that is acceptable,” I stutter out, my stomach churning, knowing what’s coming out of that door. I hear Loki’s angry muttering and I brace myself as the door unlocks. 

Before I can see it coming, he shoves me backwards, and Iand on my back, my head hitting the ground. I scramble into a sitting position and try to back up, as his rage is focused on me. 

“I thought, darling,” He spits out the pet name as if it were an insult. “That we were done for tonight?” Loki asks me, looking one wrong word away from relieving me of one of my hands. 

I stare at him, not knowing how to respond. His anger grows every second I don’t respond, and when he takes another step closer to me, I look at Thor in panic. 

I’ve never seen anyone this mad. Not even Fury himself. Loki follows my gaze and sees Thor there, fuming. He grabs my upper arm and drags me up. 

“What is this?” He demands, looking between me and Thor. His grip on my arm is starting to burn. It’s probably going to bruise. Thankfully, Thor steps in. He marches up to Loki and grabs his neck, tossing him back into his room. 

“It would do you well, brother, to treat your beloved as if she were such!” He shouts at Loki. I scurry into the room and close the door, trying to keep some of the noise in.

“What has gotten into you, Loki? You do not treat any woman like that!” Thor bellows. 

“It’s none of your business, Thor, please leave.” Loki says, rolling his eyes. 

“No, it is my business, because you terrify your woman so much that she seeks me out for aid!” 

“She did what?” Loki venomously says, looking over Thor’s shoulder at me. I wrap my arms around myself and look away, not wanting to see the hate in his eyes. 

“Where is it?” Thor demands, his voice dropping to a near whisper. There are so many things that could go wrong now, and Thor is recognizing that he’s now, to some extent, responsible for it. 

“Where is what?” Loki says, grinning. Thor looks at me, knowing Loki won’t be of any help. I look at Loki. He’s going to see this as absolute betrayal. But it’s the first step to getting him back. 

I nod and walk around them. Loki starts to grab me, but Thor gets between us. I walk into his room and pull the door mostly closed, grabbing it from the corner between the door and the wall. 

As my hand touches it, something sparks and I feel magic crawling up my arm. Out of instinct I throw it down, and the staff clangs to the ground. I pull my sleeve down over my hands and pick it up through that. It’s enough to keep whatever that is off of me. 

I walk back to the living room where Thor has an iron grip on Loki’s shoulder. I stop myself from looking at Loki. I don’t need to see what he thinks about this. 

“So it is true, then.” Thor says in a grave voice. “Come then, we must present this to Fury and the son of Coul. 

“What??” I cry. “Thor, we can’t do that! You don’t know what he’ll do when he finds out! What if he puts Loki in lockup?” I babble, panicking. Thor drops mjolnir in one of Loki’s pockets, and he falls, anchored to the ground. 

Thor walks over to me and rests his hands on my shoulders. 

“Do we have a better option? Even if Fury finds it necessary to contain Loki, it will be for the best. I care for him as much as you do, Serendipity,” Thor says, pulling me into a crushing hug. I rest my head on his chest, revelling in the comfort. I've been trying to handle this by myself for so long.

“But this Loki, he needs to be dealt with.” Thor finishes. Loki  needs to be dealt with. And dealt with he shall be. I break the hug and turn back to Loki. My eyes widen in horror. 

"...Thor?" I say, hoping that I'm just tired or hallucinating or something.

Thor turns around, and the blood drains from his face. It's not just me. 

Loki is gone.

*A/N: A special shout-out to all my peeps who leave comments on things I write!! I love to see people involved and I love hearing from you guys!!*