Chapter Eight

euphoric

A couple days later, I stood in line to check out a book from the library. Harley and Noel were standing next to me despite neither of them really needing to.

I tuned out their conversation about robots--I didn't even want to ask why they were on that subject--when it became my turn to check out.

I met deep green eyes and gave the guy behind the counter a friendly smile. He had thick, dark hair and dark stubble that was neatly trimmed.

"Hi," I said. I leaned in slightly closer to read his name tag. I thought what I read suited him. "Theo, huh?"

He smiled back, his a little more playful. "That'd be me."

"You know, I see you everywhere," I said, handing him the book I wanted. His fingers brushed mine and I knew I hadn't been imagining things over the last few weeks crossing paths. I was sure he was at least mildly interested in me.

I swiped my card at the reader to bring up my account for him and then Theo flipped the book open. He passed the barcode sticker under the scanner and then clicked on his mouse a couple times, still watching me.

"Problem with it?" Theo's eyes glittered with mischief and I realized I liked it.

I opened my mouth to say something but then Noel touched my arm, oblivious to the fact I was talking to someone. "Nat, you wanna get something to eat?"

I blinked, tearing my gaze from Theo, who slid the book back to me and waved the next person forward. I guess that was the end of our conversation.

Stepping away, I looked at Noel who had his lips turned slightly up in a tiny smile. You wouldn't have noticed it if you weren't looking for it. Behind him, Harley rolled his eyes and then made a gagging gesture.

I ignored him and began walking with them. To Noel, I said, "Sure. It's late, though." The giant clock on the wall above us read just after 10 p.m. "The dining hall is closed."

"It's cool, I know a place we can go." He looked at Harley. "You in?"

Harley took a second to glance between my roommate and me. He grinned and I knew what he was up to. I'd have punched him in the chest if that wouldn't have looked odd to Noel.

"I'm good."

"You sure?" I asked, trying to keep my tone from sounding like it was too forced. I didn't know how I felt about going out to eat somewhere with just Noel.

Harley patted me on the shoulder. "I'm sure. See you later."

Before I knew it, he was walking away.

"He's kind of weird."

I snorted in amusement at Noel's words. "Kind of?"

"I didn't want to get too graphic since he's your best friend." He touched my elbow briefly, indicating which way to turn, before moving passed me. "My car's in the lot behind the library."

"Lucky. I'm way down behind the athletics building."

"Poor Nat." Noel pouted and teasingly ruffled my hair. I swatted him away but he just laughed, bumping his shoulder with mine as we walked.

A half hour later we were coming out of a late night bakery shop in a neighborhood so far from campus, I would have believed Noel if he told me were in Alaska. That was how lost I was.

"You know, when you said get something to eat, I was thinking more like real food." I sat down on the curb next to Noel, a few feet from his car.

"What? Donuts are real food."

Nathan Marsh's State of Beingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें