Chapter 5: Chop

Franklin arrives home but hides around the corner of the house as he hears his aunt is about to leave with one of her friends.

Denise: Girl, of course, I saved that poor boy's life. But you know what? It's getting to be a bit much.

Friend: I have no idea how you cope.

Denise: 'Course I cope. I'm a woman.

Friend: Ain't that the truth?

Denise: But, girl, I have done done all that I can do, but you know how boys are.

Denise is exhausted after spirit walking from the front door to the sidewalk as her friend looks at her as Franklin watches from the side of the house. 

Denise: Wait a minute... Oh, girl... Oh, hey, how much further?

Friend: We ain't even gone five yards yet.

Denise:  Okay. I know. I'm just asking.

Friend: This is spirit walking. Exercises body and soul. It's all the rage.

Denise and her friend start walking down the sidewalk whilst chanting feminist phrases together.

Friend: We are women and we are free!

Denise: We are women...

Friend: Bringing an end to the patriarchy.

Friend: We are women, hear our pain,

Denise: We are women, hear our pain,

Friend: we are women, hear our shout,

Denise: we are women, hear our shout,

Friend: and we are free, have no doubt.

Denise: And we are women, have no doubt.

Friend: We are women and we are free...

The two go out of hearing range, Franklin walks up to the front door as Lamar shows up on the sidewalk behind him, walking his dog Chop.

Lamar: Damn, F is that your auntie?

Franklin: Yeah, thank God I missed her crazy ass. She spirit walking and shit now, man... that's just her attempts to...

Lamar: Hey, hey! Don't be talking shit about your auntie, man, she got... I mean she cool as a motherfucker, man, come on.

Franklin: Come where?

Lamar: We gotta go pick up some shit from around the corner, man. We can walk and talk at the same time, my nigga.

Franklin: Why the fuck we can't drive?

Lamar: Around the block? With Chop? You need to walk with your fat ass.

Franklin: Yeah, okay, you tall, lanky son of a bitch.

The two are walking towards the meeting site. As Franklin and Lamar walk together with Chop near them, Lamar begins to talk with Franklin. 

Lamar: Come on, homie, we ain't got all day, let's go.

Franklin: Fo' sho, but what you got up?

Lamar: Kidnapping, fool. That clown D, that OG fool from Ballas.

Franklin: Dog, I told you; no more gangbanging, retro-vengeance bullshit. I'm trying to make some fucking paper.