iv. Kill or Be Killed

chapter four
kill or be killed

          IF THERE WAS anything Rory knew to do, it was to fight. And not just fight — but fight to win. Even after all those years being away from the Academy, she still knew the little quirks they taught her in order to win. The tactics, and techniques, in order to ensure that she would be the one to remain on the fighting pit.

          (Kill, or be killed, remember Rora?)

          "Again." Her head whispered, reaching forward in a swift motion as her fists jabbed into the rib of her opponent. Hugo. He was tall, efficient, had a sense of skill, and good strength. He knew when to duck, how to take a hit and even throw one — but the one thing he couldn't do was to beat Aurora Granger.

          She was highly skilled in the art of martial arts, and a brilliant combatant while at it. Her hits were clean, as much as they were solid. Her style was efficient, somewhat creative, but overall ruthless. She was ruthless. She might look like she can't take a hit — but she can, and she'll give it back at a tenfold. Her head swiftly ducked, dodging another incoming punch and shoving it away with her bruised arm.

          Her footing technique was another thing. It was highly complex. It bounced around, never staying in one position for too long — and before he knew it, her heel was diving right into the back of Hugo's knees, forcing the boy the kneel. Quickly, she stepped on his bent leg, and swung over his shoulders, effectively trapping his neck between his thighs. Then, she hauled them forward, without a second thought.