prologue

The rain pelted down in spades, not holding back at all as it rampaged its misery on every person who was unlucky enough to be caught underneath it.

The woman rushed beneath the sky's tears as she held the basket that contained her everything close to her chest. She didn't mind the feel of the rain on her skin that dampened her clothes. She embraced it. Nothing felt better than the rain.

Nothing made her feel more alive.

When she hurried down another street, that was when she saw them.

The monsters. The monsters that tried to steal her heart, her joy.

Fear paralysed her body but she quickly turned into the nearest alleyway, her blood pumping quickly throughout her body as tears threatened to crawl down her face alongside the moisture from the clouds, suffocating her.

It all dawned on her, the horrible aching truth that she wanted to deny until her reality morphed into something more happy.

But it was not possible. She had to accept the truth for what it was.

The hourglass had been filling but now as the last grain of sand passed through to the other side, she knew it was up. She had no more time left.

And so, she knew that there was only one thing she had to do.

She looked around where she had ended up. She guessed that it was the back passage of a fast food restaurant as she stood in a dirty alleyway. The broken, neon flashing light was doing nothing but accentuating the grime on the floor, on the walls that the rain did not clean but make dirtier as the brown became smudged.

Everything inside of her hurt as she realised that there was no other option but to leave her here, like a piece of rubbish, like she belonged with the waste when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Her baby was her world, her everything. She was truly the most precious thing she had ever lay her eyes upon.

Hearing some loud shouts, she shook away her thoughts as urgency took over, her resolve strengthening. She had to hurry.

But even though she had no time, she couldn't help but look down at her daughter for the last time.

Her beautiful silky blonde hair that only ressembled fluffs of white clouds on her head, her beautiful round, reddenned cheeks, her little fingers that scrunched up and then straightened, asking for the woman in front of her, for her mumma.

But that was not going to be possible.

She gave one last look into her eyes, her beautiful hazel orbs that made her want to protect her with everything she had, she kissed her on her head, putting this last image she would have in her head and securing it forever.

She'd never forget.

Before she could agree with everything inside of her that begged to keep her baby close, she put the basket on the floor near the grime, hidden partially by the trashcan.

She slowly backed up, so disappointed, horrified that this was the only thing she could truly do for her daughter, that this was the most that she could give her.

Her sweet Nova watched her as she continued walking away, breaking her heart in the process. She didn't cry, she didn't scream. All she did was watch her with those eyes of hers.

"I love you my star," she whispered into the darkened evening, the last words that she would ever say, allowing only one tear to fall down her face, in line with the rain that seemed to mourn this day for what it was too.

The day Nova lost her mother.

But that was the biggest gift that she could ever give to the one thing that meant more to her than her life.

She turned and disappeared forever.

There was no stars brightening the sky that night but it didn't matter. Lighting the alleyway with all her beauty was Nova, shining brighter than any star.

Life was going to be hard for her, but she'd find her way.

She was absolutely sure of it.

-