Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Thanks for taking some time and coming all this way to make a conformation, Mrs.—"

"It is Miss," I corrected the officer. "And I had to come. You said that your arrest has to do with the death of my husband."

I had arrived to the police station and was following the officer who requested me. He was taking me to the room where the suspect was locked up. According to the cop's claims, he and two of his fellow officers were investigating the car and the area where the crash happened the other night. They made a startling discovery and tested the evidence. What they found was a bottle of Caleb's medicine. One might think that was not weird because Caleb was prescribed the medicine by his doctor.

"Did your husband have anxiety issues?" the cop asked.

"Yes. His anxiety was bad. So bad that he was afraid of leaving my side."

"May I ask why he had terrible anxiety?"

As much as I did not desire to spill out Caleb's tragic backstory, especially since that he was gone forever, I realized that it might be important to the case. I started with his parents. How his dad left him and his mom because he did not want to care for his son. How his dad and mom got back together and disowned their precious son by abandoning him. I almost cried while explaining the story.

The officer halted in his tracks. He took off his hat and wiped his forehead. "Boy, am I hot. When will that guy turn on the air conditioner?"

"I am not hot," I piped in.

"That is because you are wearing a sleeveless dress that comes to the knees."

"Cannot argue with that. My husband bought me this dress for my birthday last year." I sighed sadly. "He always loved to see me in this dress."

The dress was a pretty green and had a pattern of pineapples all over it. To match with it, I wore earrings in the shape of pineapples and low heels. My hair was tied in a ponytail. Caleb bought the dress for me because pineapples reminded him of me. Pineapples are sweet. I am sweet. Pineapples are gorgeous. I am gorgeous. I held back tears as I grasped the fabric of the dress. Who would compare me to pineapples now?

The cop put his hat back on and strolled to one of the desks. A large, transparent bag was lying on top, and he picked it up and returned to me. I teared up when I could see what was in the bag. What belonged to Caleb and what was in the car before the crash was recovered and now mine to take back home. I thanked him too many times and hugged the bag to my chest. Caleb's glasses. His tuxedo.

I raised an eyebrow at the cop.

"Is something the matter, Miss?"

"Where is Caleb's prescription?"

"That is what we are holding as evidence."

"Why?

"They are not anxiety pills. What we found in the container were sleeping pills."

Those two words changed my life even more upside down. My bottom jaw dropped, and the bag slipped from my grips and fell to the floor. I was speechless for what felt like forever before I forced myself to laugh. It was not real laughing. I was trying to signal to the officer that he and the others must have made a mistake.

"There is no mistake," he said as if he could read my thoughts. "We tested the pills at least ten times. They are indeed sleeping pills."

"Caleb...would never take sleeping pills unless he needed to," I said. "He would have notified me."

"Two sets of fingerprints were found on the bottle. One matches your husband's, and the other matches the suspect's."

My face twisted into a frown. "Can I see and talk to the suspect?"

"You may. By the way, she did say that she knows you and your husband."

"She does?"

He opened the door and motioned for me to go in. I thanked him yet again and walked in. He reassured me that he would watch us in case that the suspect tried to harm me and shut the door and locked it. This room was recognizable to me because I was the suspect earlier in this book. How the tables have turned.

One look at the suspect, and I almost lost my balance. "You?!"

The girl was handcuffed to the table, and her blonde hair was covering half of her face. She had a red eye and was smiling evilly.

"Ava," I growled.

The villain cackled and tossed her hair back using her free hand. "Cindy. My second favorite person. Too bad that Caleb died instead of you."

I reached across the table and grabbed her shirt. "You. I should have known."

"If you actually believe that I killed Caleb, you are sadly mistaken."

"You tampered with his pills."

"I did no such thing."

I shoved her. "I should have known that Caleb's death was not an accident. You switched his pills, and he fell asleep at the wheel."

"I did not mess with his pills! Why the heck would I want Caleb to die?"

I placed my palms on the table. "Your intention was to hurt Caleb. Maybe you did not want him to die, but you surely wanted him to suffer under your feet."

Ava squinted at me. "I would never perform an act that has the chance of getting him killed. Yes, Slapi and I abused the poor guy, but not to the point that he was meeting with death. If I really wanted him dead, I would have done the quick and easy way. I would have shot him upon our encounter. Just like what your ex-boyfriend did."

"My ex-boyfriend? You mean Marty?"

"Is that his name? Marty? He sure is not bright. Torturing and shooting Caleb the night of the accident."