Friends / crush

This one kinda sucks. Emotionally and writing-wise.

"Hey c/n."

"Hey y/n."

"How have you been?"

"Good. Good."

"Well, that's good."

There was an awkward silence and it pained you inside. Ever since you told him how you felt it hasn't been the same.

"Yeah. How are you?" He asked in return. Wow, he really asked?

"I'm good also. Just kind of going with the flow I guess."

Another awkward silence. You were both standing at an awkward distance. It hurt a lot. You had gone from best friends to two awkward people that looked like they were meeting for the first time. Things would never be the same.

"Listen y/n-"

"No c/n, you don't have to say anything. I hoped this wouldn't be awkward and it is; but I had to take that leap of faith and tell you how I felt," your emotions were running high. "I couldn't let it eat me up inside any longer. I prepared myself for your feelings to not reciprocate mine, but it still hurts a little inside." You could feel yourself on the verge of tears but you didn't want to be weak in front of him.

"Y/n I never wanted to make you feel bad I just don't feel that way towards you." C/n was even more nervous now.

"I know you didn't want to make me feel bad and you didn't. That's not your fault; but as I said, I mentally prepared myself for the answer I didn't want. What hurts most is that now every time we see each other it's weird, awkward, and just different," your lip starts to quiver. "I feel like I messed up our friendship. Like it'll never be the same. C/n I wanted to tell you so I could drop those feelings for you if you didn't feel the same and to be honest, I don't know what I feel or even think at this point!"

You felt mentally drained and defeated. About a week after you had confessed your feelings to c/n, you had heard that he found interest in a girl. You never thought you could feel the heartbreak until that night. What really hurt was hearing it from another person but c/n would never tell you that kind of information. Especially after you told him you liked him.

"Y/n we're still best friends. We always will be," he said. All you could think was 'ouch'. "I just wasn't expecting you to say that. I had no idea you felt that way and it took me off guard."

C/n took a few more steps toward you but you only looked towards the ground. You didn't want to meet his eyes or look at his face.

"I care about you and I'll always be there for you. I'm sorry I don't feel the same but I'm always here y/n and we'll always be friends," he finished.

You looked up, "Don't apologize! I will always be there for you too. Through everything."

You wrapped your arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. He hugged you back resting his head on your shoulder.

"Even when we're old, I'll be there for you," you said with a small laugh. He gave a small laugh back in response to your comment.

This moment felt like a tiny victory and breakthrough. Sometimes you wish you had never caught feelings, but you did. This only made your relationship stronger and built the bond of friendship between you two.

Of course, it would always be in the back of your mind that you like h/n, but now, your friendship was all that you needed. You were just happy he was in your life and your best friend.