10 • ℎ𝑜𝑚𝑒

Start from the beginning

I let out a groan to the ceiling when I realized that my bag already had my FACS book in it. Begrudgingly, I picked up the book and stuffed it in, aggressively zipping up the bag.

My time had run out, so, I grabbed the first thing I saw in my closet, which happened to be a hideous blue jumper that my mum had bought me when we moved here.

I shuddered but pulled it over my silk nightie nonetheless. After picking something so tasteless, I reached for a pair of gorgeous blue chelsea boots.

With my bag in one hand and the shoes in the other, I raced through my house. Ignoring the calls of my parents, I rushed out of the front door. Hopping on one foot on the sidewalk, I tried to put my shoes on.

I cringed, hating to have to wear my boots without socks but that was the least of my troubles.

Taking a deep breath, I started sprinting to the right. Oliver said that he lived two minutes away from me and he'd be waiting on the sidewalk.

I tried to breathe a sigh of relief when I saw Oliver in the distance, but my lungs chose to wheeze instead.

I finally reached him but collapsed on the concrete. I lay spread starfish, doing my very best to bring air into my lungs.

"Angie?" Came Oliver's confused voice.

"No, Shakespeare!" I panted, trying to get to my feet. "Obviously it's Angie."

With one hand on my hip and the other trying to get my hair out of my face, I stood facing Oliver.

"You have no idea what just happened to me. I literally woke up four minutes ago, I think I bruised my gum brushing my teeth and I didn't even shower. Ugh, I feel disgusting."

I huffed, rolling my eyes heavenward as I finally acknowledged what I was wearing.

Realizing that Oliver hadn't said a word yet, I looked up at him only to find his eyes fixated on my face.

I cocked my hip to the side and folded my arms, now realizing that I had to tilt my head a bit to look up at him. I've always been in some sort of heeled boot around him, and now that I wasn't, the height difference- whilst not drastic- was still noticeable.

"I know that I'm not up to my usual standards but there's no need to look so horrified."

There was no discernible expression on his face and I knew I looked bad, but to render Oliver Harding speechless...

I snapped my fingers in front of his face and he jumped. His confusion drew a giggle out of me as I pushed my hair behind my ear once again. This is why I straighten it all the time. I simply couldn't control it in its natural state.

And since I dyed it such a light colour yesterday, there was no mistaking just how messy it was.

"You know this is all your fault, right? I only look like this because I wanted to be early. Showing up late wouldn't exactly show my dedication to our new friendship, no?"

"Uh, no? Wait yes- uh..."

"I'm sorry, did you just wake up too?" I laughed, basking in the fact that for once, Oliver is the fumbling one.